Cooking lamb question.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I enjoy lamb curry but DO NOT like fat. I have always used a slow cooker.....the fat melts and you have all the flavour.
Doing a single meal for myself the slow cooker seems an overkill so........is there another way to get similar results ?
Thanks
PS....I am mulling over slow cooking a larger meal and freezing some.

Cirrus

Veteran
PS....I am mulling over slow cooking a larger meal and freezing some.

Is probably the way forward, cook something you like and stock up with meals for another day.

OP
OP
Dave7

Dave7

Legendary Member
Fine, thanks. Seems the way to go BUT is there a method that will melt off the fat for smaller quantities ?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
defo batch cook and freeze some portions - much more efficient all round.

Re separating fat, I use one of these, whilst its really for gravy, you can use it for a stew / curry or whatever, simply strain a load of the cooking juices into it, wait for it to separate and poor the good stuff back in. Do that stage before its thickened up, but once the the fat has melted out of the meat. that way you get hte flavour, but you have a lot less melted fat running around your food / arteries.
1701086818873.png

https://www.johnlewis.com/oxo-good-...dHQHwJlMcOpWSRa7QChoCI_MQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Its also worth spending sometime properly trimming whatever cut of meat your using, so the bigger fat pieces and tougher connective tissue can be trimmed out, before you start.

Last edited:

Once a Wheeler

…always a wheeler
  • Three-quarter cook the lamb in one of these:
80805_2.jpg.jpg

• The fat collects at the bottom and you can simply pour it off.
  • Cut off as much lamb as you need for the meal you are preparing. Finish the cooking in the curry sauce.
  • Cut the rest of the lamb into single portions and put them in the freezer. You can then take out what you need when you need it, defrost and cook it to completion in a curry sauce or under the grill, when you want to.

Last edited:

winjim

Smash the cistern
Pressure cooker? Ours does slow cooking and pressure cooking but I never use it on slow setting. But as others have suggested, batch cook and freeze.

Top Bottom