core strength

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

montage

God Almighty
Has anybody found significant improvements in speed/comfort after training in core strength? I've always believed in it, but have never been able to mark any improvements for certain as when I was riding, my fitness was always increasing, therefore putting my gains down to fitness rather than core strength.

I ponder over this because having been off the bike for aaaages with another 3-4 months still to go I have been doing alot of core exersizes (gonna have a go at hitting 20 minutes in the Plank position soon). I've put on nearly 5kg of weight whilst off the bike, most of this muscle, and just wonder if I have only succeeded in slowing myself down on the climbs for when I return.

Anybody have experiences?

Garz

Squat Member
Good question.

I myself have only been cycling about nine months, however know my abs/back arent very strong either. My fitness and weight loss have come on well but need to incorporate this core into it somehow.

Bill Gates

Diffcult to quantify gains in core strength and on the bike improvements. You need to ride your bike to develop CV fitness for lungs, heart and muscles. The best way to describe it is to compare a bike fit you and a bike fit yourself; one with developed core strength and one without.

The one with developed core strength will be:

* more consistent on a day by day basis.
* better able to maintain good technique when fatigued or climbing
* place less strain on supporting muscles so increasing stamina

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I'm not looking for core strength exercises..... I'm confident mine is in great shape (hence I'm going for the 20minute plank), but cheers any way :biggrin:

Not so sure about comfort, but a strong core is vital to a powerful cyclist. An example would be pedaling hard up hill, where the downward force you apply through pedals will of course also try push you out of the saddle. We pull on the handle bars to stop ourselves lifting from the saddle and it's our core that connects the pull on the bars to the push down through the pedals. A strong core will allow you to push harder without lifting from the saddle. As a quick test (if you're at a desk) try to stand up while gripping the desk and holding yourself down. You should feel the tension across your abs.

Crimmey

marzjennings has made a good point, I do feel the lower back muscles being used more when pushing hard on the hills. I find core flexibility has helped me more though as I can set up the bike in any position as my back and neck pains are virtually non existant now on 100milers. I have now got an 130mm stem, from an 80mm one, to stretch myself out and get more aero = faster/less effort which ever way you want to look at it.

lukesdad

Re; the extra muscle weight,all boils down to your power to weight ratio. It may help in other areas as stated, but the extra weight will also accelerate rate of fatigue due to extra effort required to move it. Whether your new found capability to deal with this on climbs will improve you performance is debatable IMO

lukesdad

By the way climbers regularly fit longer stems to improve the position for accelerating out of the saddle.

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Montage - core strength works.

I no longer suffer from back & shoulder pain and my pedalling is smoother. I don't find myself clinching the handlebars up steep climbs and my upper body is more relaxed.

I only spend 5 mins before and 5 mins after each ride doing various exercises.

Before I started these exercises, I constantly suffered from the above symptoms.

jimboalee

Having strong Back and Obliques is definitely an advantage for cyclists.

Having tight Abdominals ( a six-pack ) is not an advantage for cyclists.
Having a 'six-pack' does not allow the stomach to expand. Getting 3000 calories worth of danish pastries in won't be possible with a tight 'six-pack'.

Have a look at the pros as they ride away before the Depart-firme, and you will see their little paunch hanging in their jerseys. :smile:

Top Bottom