Cornwall Tor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david1701

Anyone doing it?

I'm stuck between 45 and 75 mile routes, I do 40 every sunday and rode up millook yesterday and my legs weren't gone at the top so the 45 seems a bit dull. I reckon I can do the 75 but my mate is doing the 45, transport isn't an issue so whats it like to do a sportive solo?

(massive sportive virgin btw)

Chris.IOW

I often ride them solo, they are fine to do, especially if you can join up with a few other riders on the road to form a little group.

2PedalsTez

Über Member
As Chris said, I ride all of mine solo to start with. I recommend jumping on the back of another group of riders, you can have a chat, it will get you round the route a lot easier too. Just make sure you take your turn at the front!

OP
OP
D

david1701

kick ass, question will I be shunned if I leave my rack bag on? i could put tools/phone in my jersey pockets but I'm worried about the weather :s

lanternerouge

Veteran
Nooooooo not the bag rack! Seriously though, all sorts (slowies like me for example ^_^) are out on Sportives and when I have done them alone it has been no problem - you always end up riding with someone who is going at your pace and having a chat.

Jerry Atrik

Veteran
Do not underestimate the 45 mile route , it is a tough ride though enjoyable . First hill leaving Bodmin hits 30 per cent as i recall and the drop into Port Isacc was very dangerous and nearly killed me and as for the climb out of Tintagel , that goes on and on and on . But a beautiful ride .

OP
OP
D

david1701

Hmmm maybe I should just do the 45 then :s

vorsprung

Veteran
Probably a good time of year to ride in Cornwall, if you are lucky with the weather

The problem with Cornwall is that the weather is unpredictable at all times of year, in the summer it's stuffed with tourists gumming up the lanes and in winter it's blowing a gale

Apart from that it's fabulous ^_^ No but really there are some loverly places to go in Cornwall

Calum

My uncle and I are supposed to be doing the full 100 miles. Did it back in 2008 when the route was even harder than it is now and it nearly killed us!! I've been doing 70-80 mile hilly rides in preparation so i'm feeling fairly confident, but our pace will be slow and we'll probably only just get back in the time limit.

Make sure you have some low gears, even if you're doing the shortest route. The climbs just keep coming and coming and you'll want to be able to spin up them slowely. Last time we did it I had a standard double (39x25 I think) and it was getting pretty grim towards the end and I ended up walking some of the steep stuff. Going to be using a compact this time thank god!

OP
OP
D

david1701

Low gears I have, I live round here

Will be on a tricross with a triple (30-32) so that aspect should be ok

Kinda worried about the weather but I'm pretty sure I'll be in shorts jersey soft shell and maybe overshoes :tongue: unless it really picks up

Top Bottom