Cotter Pins

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
Can any one recommend a supplier of cotter pins that aren't made from cheese? I want a pair of rock 'ard ones that won't snap or strip threads, and I don't mind paying top dollar for good ones.

Cheers,

D

Arsen Gere

Über Member
One thought, if they are just mild steel ( as they used to be , it's a long time since I saw one ) you could ask a local blacksmith to temper them for you ? I did this some years ago making my own screwdrivers and other tools.

Davidc

Guru
They were always made of butter so if you can get cheese ones they're top quality.

Awful system. Top quality ones used to last me about as long as a modern chain does now. They were cheaper by the boxful, and that's how I bought them.

tyred

Legendary Member
They're supposed to be soft metal so they don't damage the crank/axle.

The threads strip easily but you shouldn't need to have them all that tight. The function of the nut is to hold them in place, not pull them into place.

Ideally, use a cotter press but I don't know where you'd find one so push the pin in, put on the washer and tighten the nut (but nowhere near enough to strip the thread), hammer the other side a few times, tighten the nut again, repeat until the nut stops coming loose and then give it a final nip up. It should then stay in place happily for thousands of miles.

Top Bottom