Coventry Eagle Elite Tourist

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfie4560

Does anyone have any info or memories of the Coventry Eagle Elite Tourist? Are they worth restoring being a 531 frame? I've seen one close to me for sale for £75 and appears in reasonable condition but I know nothing about them. I did have a Coventry Eagle bike back in around 1974 but that definitely wasn't 531 :biggrin: I'm not even sure of the year but suspect it'll be early 80's.

Is it this one by any chance?
s-l1600.jpg

Looks a pretty nice bike under the ahem, custom paint job. I think it looks earlier than 80s

That's the one, Mikey :smile: Decided to take a chance and bought it. The gold lug lines have to go though :biggrin:
Really? That would be spoiling the patina of previous owners! :whistle:
What are you going to do with the bare metal bit where someone's helpfully sanded an area of paint off?
I think it'll look good when it's done, and I haven't seen many of these around (which is why I recognised yours)

OP
OP
Wolfie4560

Wolfie4560

I have it at home now and a quick look over shows that it has been well cared for in it's time (apart from the dodgy lugs :biggrin: ). The part on the frame that looks as if it's been sanded off is actually paint that has been spilled on at some time and should chip off if I take care. The rear mech is loose on the main sprung pivot but all in all, I'm really pleased with it. I'll strip and clean the bits, new bar tape, brake blocks, and tyres, then once the rear mech is tightened, give it a shakedown trial :smile:

OP
OP
Wolfie4560

Wolfie4560

I'm also happy that it doesn't need a respray so I can keep the Sid Standard Cycles sticker on it :biggrin: I've tried to read the frame number to try and date it but it's too faint with paint build up :sad:

There must be a component on it that'll date it. 531 sticker is 80s, yet there's a refreshing lack of braze-ons

Top Bottom