Cracked ribs.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

d87francis

I knew it would end badly!

Last Thursday I took an offer up by some friends to go mountain biking locally, something I haven't done for years as I've got into road cycling. What was a very enjoyable afternoon in the rain was dampened by me getting a puncture on the way there and then later on coming a cropper. Of several trails we did that afternoon the last quite technical one was my favourite, it was very wet and slippy and had quite a big drop following a sharp corner and a section of boulders. My friend had been persuading me to take it a bit faster and pull up as it had a slight lip, something which I was cautious of considering it was so slippery and hard to stay upright. It was a narrow trail with a lot of vegetation on either side making it hard to prepare for what to me was a scary drop.

Anyway to cut a long story short I got carried away went far too fast over it and managed to mess up the landing with my chest impacting a root quite hard. I've been to see the doctor today who said I've probably cracked a rib or two. He has prescribed me some codeine however I have a couple of essays to write and I'm worried I shan't be able to concentrate so may just put up with the pain.

I think moral of the story is don't get c*cky when it's chucking it down and you haven't been mountain biking for years.

Your friend was half right though. It's harder to navigate those sort of obstacles if you go too slow, you need to go fast enough to 'skim over them'!

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ouch. Good luck with the ribs. I cracked on in March and it takes a while. I didn't find the codeine affected me too badly however whereas the pain did!! :rolleyes: Not sure how old you are but I'm in my 40s and it took almost exactly 6 weeks to the day before the pain went. I must admit I carried on commuting by bike (against docs orders) but didn't do any major distances.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
HAve cracked ribs on 2 occasions now. And like Martin said, it takes about 6 weeks for the pain to go (dependent on how big the cracks are). Sleeping is the bugger with cracked ribs...

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
What this lot say.

At least 6 weeks. I was back on the bike after a week or two, but no 'out of the saddle' riding. First week it was impossible to lie down - had to 'rest' sat up on an uncomfy holiday appartment couch. Cause - chasing the kids round a swimming pool with water guns on holiday, slip, bang, Ow.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What this lot say.

At least 6 weeks. I was back on the bike after a week or two, but no 'out of the saddle' riding. First week it was impossible to lie down - had to 'rest' sat up on an uncomfy holiday appartment couch. Cause - chasing the kids round a swimming pool with water guns on holiday, slip, bang, Ow.

Ouch...Was it ever on You've Been Framed?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ouch...Was it ever on You've Been Framed?

Fortunately not.

The noise I made wasn't funny. My wife could hear my groan from about 100 metres away. I'd winded myself, so ended up on all fours for a while till I gould get a gasp in. Beers helped later though !

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ouch !! GWS

sheared the muscles/tendons in my ribs a while back that meant i was off work as the painkillers meant no driving and it hurt to breathe /move .My workplace would have assumed if i could cycle in then i was capable of manual work so i had to leave the bike off for a few weeks .

Arsen Gere

Über Member
Cracke ribs are no fun. I found self medication better than what the doc gave me. Taking ibuprofen every four hours and paracetamol every four but with two hours between the ibuprofen and pracetamol worked best.

You know you are going to get better and will start to improve shortly so hang on in there.

Melonfish

Evil Genius in training.
I remember when Calibanzwei cracked some ribs whilst we were Airsofting.
Me and him move out of cover and have to try and make it across an old overgrown car park. its full of detritus and whatnot.
now we're under fire so moving at speed, Col heads for some 1 tonne bags of sand and i head slightly right for a shell scrape i can see.
full pelt at the last minute i see the shell scrape is FULL of water so i let my legs go out from under me and hit the deck.
as i do that i hear a large dull thud.
yeah those large bags of sand col was heading for, turned out not to be sand.
Cement.
SET Cement.
he'd turned side on and made to use the sand as a soft cushion on his ribs as he hit.
still continued playing airsoft all day.

Top Bottom