Crank clicking.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As above, my crank appears to be clicking, I've had this problem happen allot, I thought I'd give it a test, so I took my right foot off the pedal, pushed only with my left and there was clicking, took my left foot off, put right back on, clicking was gone.

It seemed to come and go today, but I dont want to hear it so thinking of taking the chainset off and putting it back on.

Is it very common? some people seem to think it's really common this clicking you get on these chainsets especially with Holowtech 2 BB's

Few questions.

The black bearing preload cap, as soon as you put that on and start turning, how many turns should you give it?

The 2 bolts, I dont have a torque wrench, I do have a multi tool though I can use to tighten it, how many turns should I give the bolts with the multi tool?

I watched the guy put this chianset on for me, he tightened the 2 bolts up then put the bearing crap in. I thought you put the cap in first?

Also one other question, is it possible that strong people can damage chainsets/bb's frequently? I dont see how this is possible/ should happen, someone just told me that I'm strong and that's why the clicking re occours and apparently the pro's have to replace them regular, I dont think the BB is worn yet, but I have a DA-7800 one waiting but hope to not need it for a long time yet.

Thanks
Will.

kyuss

Veteran
willhub said:
The black bearing preload cap, as soon as you put that on and start turning, how many turns should you give it?

It should be hand tight only. If you have a BB tool that looks like this then take the bearing cap tool off the handle before you use it or you'll be tightening it too much. You should be using it held just between your fingers.

willhub said:
The 2 bolts, I dont have a torque wrench, I do have a multi tool though I can use to tighten it, how many turns should I give the bolts with the multi tool?

Hard to say. I use a multitool as well and do it by feel. When it starts getting tight, stop. No need to be leaning on the tool with all your weight, just tight enough to stop it falling off, not so tight as to strip the threads.

willhub said:
I watched the guy put this chianset on for me, he tightened the 2 bolts up then put the bearing crap in. I thought you put the cap in first?

You do, otherwise you're not pulling the crank into the bb enough. Similar principle to headsets where tightening the top cap with the stem bolts done up is useless.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You can do 2 things.
1: Tighten the bottom Bracket
2: Tighten the cranks
More often then not it solves the problem.
(Also dont forget to check your pedals as well)

Tighten the 2 bolts up a little way, then screw in the bearing cap, you just do up finger tight with the tool, do not force it as it's not designed to be forced. The 2 bolts just do up as tight as you can with a decent allen key. However before you do that make sure that the crank is on correctly.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Last time my 'cranks were clicking', it turned out to be the pedals. Not saying it is, just it's worth checking out. (Swap the pedals for another pair, see if the clicking stops.)

I can see it's not a bent chain ring, loose cranks, loose BB, I don't know about a cracked bearing, should certainly not be this bike is not that old, it's only got 1038 miles on it.

I had this problem constantly re occurring on my old bike and I found that re fitting the chainset solved the problem for a short time.

Bigtwin

willhub said:
, I don't know about a cracked bearing, should certainly not be this bike is not that old, it's only got 1038 miles on it.

At that mileage it could be the BB - they just seem to go whenever IME. Not lubed properly at the factory or whatever - job done. Spray a load of GT85 type lube in there (they're not all that sealed if it's shimano) and see if it stops/changes for a bit is as good a way as any.

Check the chain ring is tight on all the crank spider bolts- sometimes one arm can be clicking if not hard up.

If you have pedals where you can get to the bearings - do the lube thing there too and see if there's a difference - if you don't have other pedals to try first.

Well it's back on and no clicking, well there was, so I took my rear Shimano wheel off and put the Aksium on and a large amount of noise dissapeared when pedalling, so god knows what it is, I'll put the Shimano wheel back on tomorrow to make sure where it is coming from but pretty sure the bearings or something in the wheels are knackered, 1038 miles is not allot, my Aksiums have done over twice that.

Bigtwin

BTW - check you saddle.

Happened to me - saddle was creaking/clicking where the rails went into the top. Sound travelled straight down the downtube and could have sworn it was the BB. Aluminium is a bugger for that. Oil on the rails/top interface - silence

Does it do it when you are out of the saddle?

Top Bottom