Crank thread sizes....?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brodie

Most common is 22mm, eg Campagnolo, Shimano etc. The only exceptions I know of are TA (23mm) and old Stronglight (23.35mm, pre-1980s).

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
brodie said:
Most common is 22mm, eg Campagnolo, Shimano etc. The only exceptions I know of are TA (23mm) and old Stronglight (23.35mm, pre-1980s).

OK, that'll explain my problem then!

(Now, where's my grinder.........:sad: )

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Don't bother...take it back and order a Park one -not much more expensive and will do square taper and ISIS... (two rotating heads) and no chance of damage.........

If the thread in the crank is different to the tool it'll be really obvious. I think it's more likely that the first turn of thread is damaged in the crank, it's quite common. What crank have you?

OP
OP
stoatsngroats
mickle said:
If the thread in the crank is different to the tool it'll be really obvious. I think it's more likely that the first turn of thread is damaged in the crank, it's quite common. What crank have you?

That's a difficult question, cos they're both old/cheap bikes!

It fits my roadbike, and I've sorted my BB problem, but it fits neither of my two adjustable cup BB fitted mtb's... I managed to get about 1/4 turn into the thread, but no further!

They're only projects of learning, so no great concern, I'm sure it'll not stop my fixie project! ;)

Is there any other way to remove a crank?

Rightso. Sounds like the crank's threads are dirty, damaged or weren't formed properly in the factory.

And/ or.. your BB features nuts rather than bolts and you need to back the tool up more, ie unscrew it, before screwing it into the crank.

And/ or.. the POS Halfords tool has crappy threads.

Top Bottom