Crankset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Proto

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
No problems Sweepea. The forum would be incredibly boring if we didn't disagree sometimes. I am pretty certain that without exception, everyone who responds to a query does so with the best of intentions and does not intend to start a major riot.

Proto......we may disagree as to how to do it, but at least we tried for a solution:smile:

Indeed, best intentions from all. Sorry to have snapped but I do feel strongly about Britain's attitude to manufacturing in general and engineering in particular.

Anyway, here's a picture of my 1953 Bantam, before and after. ;)

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Proto said:
Indeed, best intentions from all. Sorry to have snapped but I do feel strongly about Britain's attitude to manufacturing in general and engineering in particular.

Anyway, here's a picture of my 1953 Bantam, before and after. ;)
That is a nice job. Is it the 125cc? Three speed with huge gap between 2nd and 3rd?

I had a later one, 1962 seems to stick in my brain. Good fun, but only if you were not in a hurry:smile:

Proto

Legendary Member
Gerry Attrick said:
That is a nice job. Is it the 125cc? Three speed with huge gap between 2nd and 3rd?

I had a later one, 1962 seems to stick in my brain. Good fun, but only if you were not in a hurry:smile:

Yes a D1, 125cc, 3 speed. No entirely kosher, although the 53 model was a transition year (that's my story at least). So could have a flat exhaust, and a smaller size barrel, but mine doesn't. I think mine originally had direct lighting, but I fitted a battery. Lots of bits are non original and I made lots of other parts - handlebar clamps, plunger and fork bushes and plunger pins and so on.

Probably should be mist green but in 1953 black was an option (cost extra that's why you never see one). I managed to scratch the tank when my Ducati 750 Supersport fell on it ;)

Very pretty and sweet but a really terrible mortorcycle. Dangerously underpowered, I might have seen 50mph on the clock, but on the flat 30 is more realistic. My LOOK 585 has better brakes.

My mate has a mint condition 1962 Bantam, also a D1, very similar to mine but dual seat. A real beauty. He bought it 1972 or so, when he was 16.

gpnt

crank puller

you need a crank puller like the VAR model they made them in the 80's it clamps around the crank arm then pushes into where the crank bolt goes,quality heavy duty tool,but few shops would have it

Top Bottom