creaking BB strikes again....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
..... bugger .... jsut when I get all enthusiastic about doing some riding in the evening the bottom braket goes.

makes loud creaking noises in the same place as it is rotated and I can feel the jump as it overcomes the resistance.

now this is expected after much use but the thing is this was a new bike I bought around 8 years ago on which I have probably done about 500 miles and has been standing indoors the rest of the time. AND it is bloody ultegra too!!!

not happy at all.

why would the BB go so soon? they are sealed so no moisture would have gotten in ....

It is one of the splined BB so I would need specail tool :biggrin: - is there a knack to removing the bolts? I think it has the self-extraciting ones but not sure.

will take a look tonight and post piccies if I get stuck.

girofan

Sorry to hear of your problem 02GF74, but I had a sealed BB malfunction at about four weeks and 250 miles. That was a Shimano unit also, so it seems as I have posted on a previous BB thread that Shimano has a problem. IMO cheap material in an effort to boost profit.
You will realise if it's self-extracting as soon as you loosen the Allen bolt, as the crank will start to release also. If not you need a crank extractor! Be careful which one you buy as some go into the hollow BB axle, so be advised by the LBS as to the best for your job.
If you are a big gear cruncher a quality BB will be your best bet as the bearings are needle rollers with ball bearings at either end.

Razor

If its just a creak then tighten the crank arms on the BB .Had this before and sounds like bearing failure but its not .just the metal creaking because its not ridgid.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Check for play - i.e. put hands and weight on each pedal - if ther is it's either pedal or BB.

Remove cranks and check BB for smoothness by turning axel

Remove BB, regrease and refit all parts.

Also check chain rings - remove and regrease and refit.

You'll need to check all the parts as a slight "fault" or loose fitting will make all sorts of noises....

As mentioned, if you need a BB, get the top or near top end models for your particular type.... I have a Dura Ace and Ultegra BB's in use that have been perfect for years.... Also have a cheaper Shimano MTB BB that needed replacing, but it was the only size I could get and that was a UN51 level model - nothing available better for the size....... but that's survived 12 months of daily commuting without a single adjustment !

postman

Legendary Member
That makes three of us this weekend all with knocking noises.I have sent an e-mail to Giant HQ in Nottingham.Telling them what is going to happen.Looking forward to the reply next week.

Top Bottom