Creaking Brooks B17

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danphoto

The Brooks B17 on Bike Number One has started creaking when I go over a bump in the road, and by trial and error we've established that the noise is coming from the gubbins under the saddle nose. Inverting the saddle and applying a few drops of thick engine oil to the nut and the clip thingy through which the saddle rail passes cures it for a few miles, but it soon comes back.

The saddle's only done about 500 miles from new and my other (well-used) B17 doesn't do this (and never did). Does anybody please know how I might rid myself of this vexation?

LazyLoki

Any kind of creaking sound indicates movement so it could be that there isn't enough tension in the bolt. If the saddle leather has stretched at all then you could try tightening the bolt (1/4 or maybe 1/2 turn), this should put more tension in the saddle and hopefully prevent any movement/noise.

This is purely guesswork however, I never had to adjust the tension bolt on my Brooks Team Pro but you could give it a go...

longers

Legendary Member
Mine did this after a similar distance after it had dried out following a wet ride, oiling the nose bolt and tweaking it slightly sorted mine out and it's been silent ever since.

ASC1951

Guru
danphoto said:
Does anybody please know how I might rid myself of this vexation?
The usual reply is "your Brooks is damaged beyond repair, but I know someone who will take it for a fiver."

I think you have to get thickish oil into the contact point i.e loosen and tighten the nut and oil the rails off the bike.

OP
OP
danphoto

danphoto

Hurrah! My saddle is now creakless :evil:

The eventual cure was to invert the saddle, warm the leather and apply warmed neatsfoot oil to the leather-metal interface all round the chromed steel gubbins at the nose.

I am once more a happy cyclist, though a cold one this frosty morn.

Top Bottom