Creaking noise - anyone ever had this from SPD's?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrahamG

Guru
I've got a pretty major creaking noise on my fixed wheel bike - the last two nights I've tightened all the chainring bolts and done the bottom bracket as tight as possible but still it persists. The only change I've made is fitting spds a few weeks back so perhaps it's these but that seems a little odd. It's not the saddle/seatpost as I've tightened and greased these plus the noise continues out of the saddle and it's not the h'bar stem.

Any ideas?

ChrisKH

Guru
I had a creaking noise and thought it was coming from the saddle. Eventually tracked it to the pedal, so you could be right. Mind you mine was a crappy folding pedal.

Try changing the pedals back for a limited time?

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
jimbo - that's a good point, I greased the crank threads when replacing them after last nights bottom bracket fudging but I don't think I greased the pedal threads when I installed them. Fingers crossed!

BTW, I was out and about in Solihull on this very bike two weeks ago for three days (working - site visits by bicycle for 20p a mile :evil:), you've access to plenty of nice cycling country Warwickshire way haven't you? Quite flat but lots of nice quiet lanes.

OP
OP
G

GrahamG

Guru
Sorted! I hadn't greased the pedal threads so the flange was bone dry and doing the metal/metal creak against the cranks.

Thanks folks!

Top Bottom