Creaking pedal/cleats.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I'm getting a very persistent creaking from my pedal/cleat/shoes on both feet. My M520 pedals have easily done over 10,000 miles, the shoes and cleats have done less, about half maybe.

A spray of Mr Sheen stops it but only for 30 miles or so. By altering my foot position I can stop it but pedalling any distance with my little toes pressed down isn't suitable.

Will it be the shoes, cleats or pedals? I don't want to buy new pedals and find that I should have replaced the cleats or vice versa.

I have got the option of a sandblaster at work to roughen up the surfaces on the cleats or pedals - after removing from the bike - if that would help at all.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
would love to know the answer myself, my left pedal show drives me nuts sometimes. a spray of wd40 cures it for 15 - 20 miles but then it returns.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I had this with M535's. I'd try new cleat's first. The pair (of cleats) I ended up with weren't brand new - but cured it for a while. TBH my M535's were very old so I ended up upgrading as the mechanism was getting tired.

I'd also recommend giving them a little roughen up with sandpaper/emery cloth - could be a rough edge on cleat or pedal.

Blue

Legendary Member
GrumpyGreg said:
would love to know the answer myself, my left pedal show drives me nuts sometimes. a spray of wd40 cures it for 15 - 20 miles but then it returns.

I had this exact problem - it was the cleat.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Yep. Same problem with my right cleat. I did find a deal of muck under the cleat and cleaned it out, sprayed it with GT85 and had no problem for the last couple of hundred miles. I'm not convinced it will never return.

It is annoying, so much so that I will change to a different system if necessary. Never get the problem with my road bike which is on Looks. But then again, you can't walk far on Looks.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks all, after swapping them onto a different bike for this week I thought the sandblasting idea was a bit daft* when all I needed to do to achieve a similar effect was use a bit of emery paper. Hopefully it's the cure as people here have said they had similar trouble with their cleats.

Gerry, my Looks creak from time to time unless I GT84+1 them occasionally.

*I blame it on being a bit dim still being half asleep.

Top Bottom