Creaking stem/stem screws

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Twilkes

Guru
When I put pressure on my bars, like when climbing or just riding vigorously, there's a little 'snap sound' coming from the stem, once as the pressure is applied and once when the pressure is released. If I loosen/tighten the stem screws (the two near the top tube, not the four holding the bars in place) I can usually recreate the noise, making me think that's where the problem is.

Anyone recognise this problem? What can I check/clean/grease to stop the noise?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Alloy steerer ? I found the alloy steerer, compression washer interface got blackened in use on both the steerer and compression washer. Emery paper and grease sorted it. You'd get creaks if not.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Alloy steerer ? I found the alloy steerer, compression washer interface got blackened in use on both the steerer and compression washer. Emery paper and grease sorted it. You'd get creaks if not.

I don't know, it's a carbon fork but I guess the steerer could still be alloy? If the steerer is the bit that the stem clamps over, what's the compression washer?

And where would the grease go, and maybe more importantly, where should it not go?

OP
OP
Twilkes

Twilkes

Guru
Often steerers are alloy unless a more expensive frame. Stem off, spacers off, headset cap off, and there is a washer between the steerer and the bearing - this is what get's blackened/polished against the steerer by tiny movements. Causes creaks and clicks.

Took it apart and cleaned and greased it, and tweaked the bar bolts as they may have been a little overtight, and silent so far in the back garden, will see how it goes out on the open road.

I'm sure creaks are designed into bikes deliberately so the owners at least give some consideration to maintaining them properly over the course of their lifetime. :smile:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Always plenty of grease in these areas. The pre-load cmpression washer is a prime example. It's never done it on my MTB, but on my fixed road bike, it used to do it every 6-12 months. It's down to micro movements - you can see the surfaces blacken. The part is doing it's job though.

Reactions: C R

C R

Guru
Always plenty of grease in these areas. The pre-load cmpression washer is a prime example. It's never done it on my MTB, but on my fixed road bike, it used to do it every 6-12 months. It's down to micro movements - you can see the surfaces blacken. The part is doing it's job though.

In my road bike seems to need cleaning every 6 months or so.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Creaks can be a warning! I overtightened the bolts on one stem which creaked until the threads pulled out at the bottom of a descent. Fortunately, the bars didn't rotate until i had nearly stopped! :eek:

Top Bottom