Creaking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bookish

Hi, I've got a hardrock comp 2010, bought it in dec 09. Since then I've had the front forks replaced under warrenty and a new bottom bracket.
The bottom bracket was replaced due to an annoying creak. Two months later I have a creak again. Is it possible to get through bottom brackets this fast or could it be something else?
It sounds like small stones hitting the bike frame every time I peddle (it's not, but thats the best description I can think of for the noise) I've tried to tighten the crank and anything else I can find but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hi, I've got a hardrock comp 2010, bought it in dec 09. Since then I've had the front forks replaced under warrenty and a new bottom bracket.
The bottom bracket was replaced due to an annoying creak. Two months later I have a creak again. Is it possible to get through bottom brackets this fast or could it be something else?
It sounds like small stones hitting the bike frame every time I peddle (it's not, but thats the best description I can think of for the noise) I've tried to tighten the crank and anything else I can find but to no avail.

Thanks in advance

could do worse than to look here:-

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/creaks.html

awfulquiet

Are you 100% sure it's the bottom bracket?

LBS had a customer with a Time / Campag (£9'000 bike) that made a horrid creaking problem.. turns out it was the surface where the rear derailleur bolted to the frame, a bit of light grease solved the problems..

Make sure the Imbus bolts on your crankset rings are also tight as well (LBS should be able to do this..)

I have just got rid of a creak that was certain was BB related. Excerting force through the left pedal gave a bit of a creak for the last few weeks, everything has been taken apart and reassembled except the BB and still the noise remained.

Tried out my new pump at the weekend and removed the innertube lock nut...no more noise.

Just goes to show that it can be pretty much anything.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Creaks can be very difficult to locate. Often you think it's the bottom bracket when it's not. Often, it's the thing you last adjusted. Other culprits include saddles, saddle posts, pedals, headset, wheel spokes, just about anything. You can eliminate some possibilities by changing the pedals, getting out of the saddle, and by checking whether the creaking continues with the handlebars held straight level.

Creaks can be very difficult to locate. Often you think it's the bottom bracket when it's not. Often, it's the thing you last adjusted. Other culprits include saddles, saddle posts, pedals, headset, wheel spokes, just about anything. You can eliminate some possibilities by changing the pedals, getting out of the saddle, and by checking whether the creaking continues with the handlebars held straight level.

Dont forget to check the tightnesss of the cassette lockring, had a similar problem which I couldn't trace until i found, quite by accident, a little movement in the cassette rings, tightened, result!

Top Bottom