creaky brompton

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
just bought a second hand brompton, one of the two speed, flat bar, sporty numbers. i like the ride it gives, but not the noise it makes!
i know some noise is coming from the folding pedal and some from the derailleur. but there are also other creaks and squeaks that i can't find the source of. overall the noises are enough to make people turn to see what it is! (no need for a bell on my brompton :biggrin:) it's driving me potty:angry:
anyone know if this is just how bromptons sound, or is there something i can do?
many thanks,

velocidad;)

What is the frequency? In time with the pedals, in time with the wheel or in time with a whole rotation of the chain? It should be easy to sort; apply lube until it shuts up, they shouldn't squeak.

OP
OP
velocidad

velocidad

Veteran
frequency?.....lol, not sure about that, but somewhere in the range of 50 to 15,000 hertz ;-)

it's the sounds that i don't think are associated with the drive-train that are bothering me really. that crappy derailleur thing with those poxy jockey wheels is always going to make some noise i think. the folding pedal i can hear is creaky (which may get replaced anyway). but there is something up at the front end that's creaky. i've checked the obvious like mudguard stays being loose, any binding of the guards or brakes but all seems ok.

cheers, velocidad.

Bromptons shouldn't creak. We have 22 examples which don't.

Bring it to our workshop in York Velocicad, we're an authorized Brompton service provider, I am confident we can shut the bastard up.

ChrisKH

Guru
This is a timely post. My green L6 Brompton never creaked and then 9 months ago developed a slight creak and I took it into the LBS to be on the safeside and they said they couldn't hear it (deaf buggers). The main chain drive cog (whaddya call it?) was replaced a year ago and I wonder if it is related. It's now getting worse, only creaks when the crank/pedal is at the bottom of the downstroke and never when I am not seated, i.e. if I get out of the saddle (which is rare on a Brommie). It doesn't help that I'm partially deaf as well, which isn't helping diagnostics. If only I was near York.

Is there play in the rear cogs?

ChrisKH

Guru
I managed to resolve mine by doing a thorough lube session last night. Took the seat and seat post apart, cleaned up lubed, WD40'd (as appropriate) and no creak today. I also changed the folding pedal to a standard one as this was creaking a bit.

Top Bottom