creaky crank

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vimes

Regular
hi all
just got back from a sunny jaunt and on the ride i noticed that every time i pushed down on the left the crank made creaking noises
what should i do about it
regards
lee

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Take your pedal off and lube the spindle would be my best bet. If that dosn't work, take out your seatpost and clean it from any grit and retighten it. Could be coming from your seat due to pushing down on that side.

I just cured a creaky left crank by basically doing what TheMadCyclist did with his pedals but to the crank after doing the pedal routine hadn't worked - I took the left crank off, cleaned it up a bit, regreased it and put it back on. That stopped it.

...but it didn't stop a different clunky noise developing a week later and I've still got no idea what or where that's coming from.

If it were on a car, I'd just turn up the radio. I reckon that a stitch in time saves nine, so I'd have it all apart and clean, lube, and tighten everything. Have a good feel with your hands on various components to see whether any play can be detected.

Wardy

Might be from your shoe/s if you are using spd's or similar. I have creaking from both my shoes, especially if I'm climbing. Seem to recall there was a thread about this and a "fix".

Top Bottom