creating a bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NinjaLemur

Regular
Morning all
I am looking at building a bike to replace my junky chunky claud butler MTB. although there are 21 gears available only shifts into 6 of them. As the old saying goes you get what you pay for and I only paid 46 quid so it has paid for itself with the savings I've made on petrol and tube fare.
Been using the MTB for commuting which it just about manages (10miles).

I do have a big ride planned for October London to Amsterdam and am looking to build a bike to do this on,
so far I have bought a Carrera crossfire2 frame, carbon fibre front forks and handlebars. Now I'm getting confused as to which parts I will need to finish it off.

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Some of the parts from your Claud Butler will possibly transfer over to your new frame.
You will need to learn how to fit cables and align derailleurs which will also give you the knowledge to repair your current bike and get those 21 gears shifting again :okay:
If it were me I would keep the Claud Butler but there is nothing wrong with wanting to build up something yourself.
You will need - stem, threadless headset, shifters, brakes/levers, wheels, tyres, crankset, cassette, front/rear derailleur, cables and I'm sure I'll have missed something. Might be worth looking on eBay for job lot group sets. You will also need tools which can be bought cheap enough to start with.
It might be worth fitting slick tyres to your current MTB and learning how to maintain it to start with, this would be the cheaper option.
Good luck

Top Bottom