Creating/editing files to create new routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gaz0303

Regular
Hi all,

I am trying to create a route of a local hill so I can try it on the BSim before attempting in real life. I created a route on mapmyride here. All looks good. Imported it into Bsim using the Create a Route feature, but on import, the average gradient increases (5 to 8%) and max gradient rises (13% to 30%). Ride here.

Is there a better way of manipulating GPX files/creating routes prior to route creation in BSim. Im thinking something like the video software, which allows grade shooting, but without requiring a video.

Thanks

OP
OP
gaz0303

gaz0303

Regular
...smoothing

Asa Post

Super Iconic Legend
Hi all,

I am trying to create a route of a local hill so I can try it on the BSim before attempting in real life. I created a route on mapmyride here. All looks good. Imported it into Bsim using the Create a Route feature, but on import, the average gradient increases (5 to 8%) and max gradient rises (13% to 30%). Ride here.

Is there a better way of manipulating GPX files/creating routes prior to route creation in BSim. Im thinking something like the video software, which allows grade shooting, but without requiring a video.

Thanks
I wouldn't worry about the max gradient. If you ride the Bkool version of the course, you'll probably find it only lasts for a second or two. It's something I've encountered quite often.

Although the average gradient has increased, the length of the ride and the starting and ending heights are the same (to within a small amount of tolerance). It's difficult to see how the average grade can increase so dramatically in those circumstances.

Putting both sets of figures into the Veloroutes gradient calculator, it shows that the Mapmyride version has an average of 5.4%, and the Bkool an average of 6.3%.
If you look at the profile in Bkool, you can see that it's like a series of steps, with rises alternating with short flat sections. The Mapmyride profile also shows this, but to a lesser extent.
The explanation for the discrepancy seems to be that Bkool discounts those flat sections when calculating the gradient. You can see that their version of the ride is classed as having c.14 kilometres of climbing, and using that figure the average gradient is 8.2%, which is near enough what they say.

Summary: The two sites use different methods of gradient calculation, and the results of both are correct when judged on their own terms.

I don't see any value in trying to manipulate the gradients before uploading, as Bkool will still make its own assessment of the ride and produce figures that agree with that assessment. In practice, the actual difference between the rides isn't as great as first appears, and the Bkool ride probably FEELS pretty accurate, whatever the numbers say.

OP
OP
gaz0303

gaz0303

Regular
Thanks Asa Post for such a comprehensive answer. I was expecting that the peak gradient will make the route rejected for 3d. Either way, better get ready to give it a serious attempt.

Top Bottom