Crime Question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex H

Legendary Member
On the BBC News there is an article referring to a hit and run in Newcastle.

"A 24-year-old man arrested on suspicion of arresting an offender remains under investigation."

Anyone know what that actually means?

Is arresting an offender illegal?

@Drago?

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
It should be "assisting an offender".

OP
OP
Alex H

Alex H

Legendary Member
QUOTE="Fnaar, post: 5804783, member: 88"]
Must be a typo for "assisting". I used to live not far from there ... a noted spot for speeding.
[/QUOTE]

A typo on the BBC :ohmy: What's the world coming to? :wacko:

mustang1

Guru
QUOTE="Fnaar, post: 5804783, member: 88"]
Must be a typo for "assisting". I used to live not far from there ... a noted spot for speeding.

[/QUOTE]
I have see the BBC to use words such as "sooo" (as in "so much"). What is the world coming to indeed. No, I mean what has the world come to, and still going towards.

Slick

Guru
I have see the BBC to use words such as "sooo" (as in "so much"). What is the world coming to indeed. No, I mean what has the world come to, and still going towards.
[/QUOTE]
I really don't mean to be rude, but it's hardly the big issue here.

Drago

Legendary Member
I think it's a typo, should mean "assisting". That is unless the suspect is pretending to be dibble and arrested someone, which seems unlikely.

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
Don't know if this is tied up with ' perverting the course of justice' but @Drago will know for sure.
I'm not a lawyer, they are similar offences but I think perverting the course of justice is when proceedings have been started, or about to be. Eg you give your mate a false alibi, after he's been charged or is about to be, in an attempt to get him off. Assisting an offender is doing something to prevent someone's arrest, eg hiding someone in your house. There's probably a lot of overlap between this and obstructing police. The law is never as clear cut as you may suppose.

Top Bottom