Critical mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Couldn't quite get this out of my head,
...cyclists are seen as a bunch of weirdos at best, puppy eating nun murderers at worst...
so there went part of my Sunday evening:

dailymailnun.jpg

Profpointy

Legendary Member
the idea I liked (heard on here iirc) was for cyclists to organise a drive-to-work day, leaving their bikes at home. The resulting grid lock should proved the point to all but the very hardest of thinking if not daily mail readers

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
a potentially good.suggestion posted on this very newsgroup was.for cyclists to arrange an agreed "drive to work day" - just to make the point that we are not blocking up "their" roads whilst cycling. The daily-mailites might not appreciate the irony that we'd no longer be subject to their proposed "extra road tax for not driving" * that is regularly trotted out

* tax for bikes
Yup...I thought this was a fantastic idea...and it wasn't mine either.

I would happily join the "drive to work" day.

Perhaps we should start one?

Dommo

Veteran
Can't say I'm a fan. Seemed to come past my place in Borough relatively regularly in the past (or at least something similar- bunch of bikes and boards with trailers and music etc.) I came across it once when I was on my bike on my way back into the flat, trying to go across Southwark Bridge Road. The fact that they "cork" the roads on the sides, irrelevant of lights aggravated me as I was trying to get in quickly to get out again. Yeah, it was only five minutes or so, but five minutes that I did not *choose* to wait. The whole justification of car drivers blocking the road the rest of the time is dumb since they don't stream through red lights saying "just wait, I'm having some fun."

If this is coming from a cyclist then you can understand why motorists with an already less-than-positive opinion of cyclists are going to go away from it even more negative. Granted, the times people need to wait are small in the grand scheme of life but the point is that it's enforced by what is effectively illegal behavior... Maybe Critical mass is not what I saw and they do stop for lights etc... Will watch the vids later.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Yup...I thought this was a fantastic idea...and it wasn't mine either.

I would happily join the "drive to work" day.

Perhaps we should start one?

Not enough people commute by bike for this to make any difference.

Might have a tiny impact in London.

No impact elsewhere.

Could even be counter productive.

Regular car drivers would think it great there were no cyclists on the road.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
A critical mass rally in the dark where some riders dont bother with lights on their bikes.

What message do they think they are putting over?

Top Bottom