Croatia or Serbia route on Eurovelo 6

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
midliferider
There are plenty of things to see in Serbia. Novi Sad has a very good museum. I hardly go to museums when touring. But I always found museums in Russia and other Eastern European countries very informative.
Belgrade is really beautiful. In fact I wanted to go back just for a weekend again but never found the time.

32spokes

Regular
I am from the area and best suggestion is to stay in Serbia all the way to Bogojevo/Erdut border with Croatia.

Croatian side of Danube (Erdut - Vukovar - Ilok) is a way better than one on the Serbian side, which is really boring, I suggest that you take it all the way to get into the Serbia once again at Ilok, but enter the Serbia at Neštin and not Bačka Palanka, as this bank is nicer and with a way less traffic. You then get to Novi Sad and you can follow EV 6 regularly.

Last edited:

dimrub

I am from the area and best suggestion is to stay in Serbia all the way to Bogojevo/Erdut border with Croatia.

Croatian side of Danube (Erdut - Vukovar - Ilok) is a way better than one on the Serbian side, which is really boring, I suggest that you take it all the way to get into the Serbia once again at Ilok, but enter the Serbia at Neštin and not Bačka Palanka, as this bank is nicer and with a way less traffic. You then get to Novi Sad and you can follow EV 6 regularly.

Thanks! So, how would that route go? Mohacs - Along the left bank to the border with Serbia at Backi Breg - Sombor - Apatin - border at Bogojevo/Erdut? Sounds quite a bit longer than crossing to Croatia south of Mohacs then proceeding through Osijek, isn't it? And if I cross the border at Nestin rather than by crossing over to Bačka Palanka, how do I then switch back to the left bank in order to get to Novi Sad? And what do you say about the part of the route after Novi Sad - I heard people saying it's rather bad, and better avoided by getting on this new fast train?

My currently planned route is Mohacs - crossing to Croatia at Udvar - Batina - Suza (where I plan to overnight) - Osijek - Vukovar - crossing over at Bačka Palanka and onwards to Novi Sad.

32spokes

Regular
Well the route depends are you sticking to asphalt or are you keen to do some unpaved roads (which are in really decent condition).

Now as Croatia is part of Schengen I highly recommend that you go with paved path by the Danube from Mohacs to Draž. Literally no traffic at all and you are cycling besides the Danube, and it takes you to Batina. Better than your current plan via Udvar imho.

Screenshot_50.png

Now if you are keen to do some unpaved roads, Serbian side is way more interesting, you would cycle all the way from border to the Bogojevo/Erdut (with exception to going through Apatin). Distance in this case would be same as you would go through Croatia. This is the way I would go.

If you aim the asphalt, then on Serbian side you would have +15km to Vukovar but still better than through Croatia.

I am talking about entering to Serbia at Batina border.

And if I cross the border at Nestin rather than by crossing over to Bačka Palanka, how do I then switch back to the left bank in order to get to Novi Sad?

Two ways, first one is to take the ferry from Beočin to Futog and then from Futog you have the bicycle path to Novi Sad. Or the second way is to cycle to Sremska Kamenica or Petrovaradin and from there you cross the bridge directly into the Novi Sad.

And what do you say about the part of the route after Novi Sad - I heard people saying it's rather bad, and better avoided by getting on this new fast train?

I don't have any first hand experience, but I also heard people hate to cycle it. This new trains are cheap, just a few euros and pretty fast.

dimrub

Got it. So the suggested route looks as follows:

We start at Baja, the pass through Mohacs - along the path hugging Fokozottan védett területek - Draz - Batina - crossing the river - Bezdan - Sombor, staying there at the bike camp Longtour.
Next day: Sombor - Apatin - along the river to Bogojevo - crossing the river at Erdut - along the river to Vukovar, staying there.
Third day: Vukovar to Ilok - Nestin - along 119 to Beocin - cross with a ferry to Futog - continue to Novi Sad. There we plan to stay at the Fruska Gora eco-camping - perhaps you know something about it?

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Interesting to read this. We are contemplating a potential return from Southern Italy via ferry to Albania/Monenegro then cycle back to Holland for Ferry home.

One issue is that we need to limit Shengen time to 90 days, and Bosnia/Serbia is the best way to do that.

I'm getting the general vibe from this that Croatia is generally preferable, but Serbia not awful?

(sorry to be so blunt)

Is that fair?

32spokes

Regular
Well, Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania and Serbia are not in Schengen, any of them would serve your purpose.
Croatia has the best roads in the area but they are in Schengen now.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Well, Montenegro, Bosnia, Albania and Serbia are not in Schengen, any of them would serve your purpose.
Croatia has the best roads in the area but they are in Schengen now.

Yeah, Croatia would be perfect. Serbia gets you closest to the Channel from my quick look. Then Hungary, Austria, Germany, Holland. With an option for one way van hire to get the tandem across Germany if time gets too tight is my thinking

dimrub

The road out of Novi Sad to Belgrade is not a cycle route. Traffic on that road can be horrendous in the morning. You are well advised to leave early morning before the traffic build up.
I left at 6 am.

Yes, We've been told as much. We decided to skip this part altogether and take a train instead.

Top Bottom