Cross Bike or new wheels??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thompson

Right, basically, I can't decide on whether or not to get a cross bike or some new more knobbly wheels for my road bike. At the moment I have a mountain bike which is about 4 maybe 5 years old which I use for going round forests once a fortnight (obviously) and I also have to use it when I go out with the more lesisurly group as they occasionally go off-road and this wouldn't do my road bike very well. The road bike I have I use for the road racing group (once a fortnight as the off-roady group is on the same day so I alternate). However, with the road racing group, with the whether getting bad, we are doing alot of cross-bike training stuff and so I can't use either of my bikes due to the wheels on my road bike and the sheer weight of my mountain bike. I am using one of the groups cross bikes but I cant use this forever.

I can either get the new wheels and keep changing them round on my road bike depending on what surface i'm riding on (there is enough room for more knobbly tyres), or, I can simply buy a cross-bike. This would be used once a week atleast with the leisurly group and sometimes used with the road racing group. I can't decide on which option to choose and was just wanting to know if anyone has any advice on which would be better. I'm not bothered about cost at all as I have just recieved aload of birthday money and need something to buy! :smile:

Also, I've been told that the cross-bikes have a shorter frame and so are indeed more comfortable as on my road bike I am stretching a bit. It's a medium sized bike with the saddle raised to its maximum (rather long legs) but the reach is just a bit overstretched. due to my short torso.

Any advice?? Thanks. :biggrin:

BSRU

A Human Being
In my opinion a new bike is the option to take.

Always better to have a bike specifically designed for what you are going to use it for, plus it's a great excuse to have N+1.

VamP

Banned
Road bikes make spectacularly bad cross bikes. No mud clearance at all around brakes, and often through forks, and seat/chainstays.

Get a crosser - they are so much fun :becool:

And you never know, you might start racing off the back of having got a new bike :thumbsup:

...in which case you'll be spending all your money on new wheels/tyres :biggrin:

OP
OP
Thompson

Thompson

In this case then, any good bikes you know of? Never had a cross bike before. But if I get one, a red one would be nice (matches my outfit and other bikes :biggrin: )

Thank you all! :tongue:

VamP

Banned
Oh man there is a ton of great cross bikes out there. What is it going to have to be able to do?

Racing - you want lightweight, dependable but not overexpensive mech (need to replace broken bits often), canti's. You'll be wanting to get tubular wheels before too long and if you really get the bug, you'll be getting several sets for different conditions.

Consider Whyte, Kinesis, Ridley, Planet X, Cube, Spesh Crux (not Tricross!), Cannondale (and there's loads of others)

Commuting - need mudguard points and pannier points. look for somethign that comes with road tyres, last thing you want is change brand new tyres to something else. Disc brakes make sense for this application.

Touring - as per commuting, but spend more time making sure you're comfortable on the bike you end up choosing.

Depending on your budget something Planet X Uncle John will suit all applications.

Or look to second-hand, there are a lot of cross bikes out there.

OP
OP
Thompson

Thompson

A bit of cross bike stuff, more of long distance rides methinks. I'm not good at the cross bike style racing (getting on and off the bike quickly results in falling at the moment). Thanks for the lists of bikes, I shall be having a neb at them. Thanks.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Have you seen the new Planet X Dirty Disco ? Name aside, it looks great:- http://www.on-one.co...-frame-and-fork

Since it's available as frame and forks, you could specify the rest of the bits and even build it yourself.

Two other suggestions, whichever bike you get:-
(i) Make sure it (the bike) has discs.
(ii) Get two sets of wheels, knobbly tyres and slicks so that you can change them to suit the riding you're going to do.Discs make swapping easier.

Top Bottom