Crosstrail versus Sirrus

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SO8

Veteran
Hi people, 1st post so please bear with me !

I am 5'11" but with short legs (30") and a long body ....

I commute on a 2009 Sirrus comp .... which replaced a 2005 Sirrus sport ... so I kind of like the Sirrus .... However, having discovered the Ride to work scheme I have just ordered a Crosstrial comp (in L) to compliment my Sirrus. This was because my ride to work (6m-8m) now incorporates a path at the side of the Thames or a bit of a park ... with some gravel, etc. The Sirrus gives a firm ride and I thought the Crosstrail would be a bit softer .... and I can use it for trips around Richmond Park :ohmy:

The Sirrus is a 'L' and replaced an 'XL' which was a bit too big for me. The Crosstrail is 'L' and makes me lean forwards more than the Sirrus ...

I tried a Felt which was absolutely superb - but too sporty and not much different than the Sirrus ... albeit with front suspension. Beautifully made though - albeit with a saddle from hell !

Would I still be better with the Sirrus for the commute or do you think I will find the Crosstrail better when it arrives ?

Also, does anyone think I would have been better ordering an XL in the Crosstrail to get more reach or am I just too used to sit up and beg bikes and missing the point of the Crosstrail ? The Specialized site indicates 'L' is my size and two dealers and the wife seem to think that too ... plus me ... sort of !

Comments welcome !

515mm

Aye.

Try sitting on both sizes in the frame (did you see what I did there?) and ask the dealer to fit the bike to you - seat height/fore and aft seat position/bar height and reach. Most important is the seat position. Get this right and everything else will fall into place.

If the dealer won't take the time to do it, find one that will - you will get more joy if you make an appointment for this at a quiet time for the shop (not Saturday morning)

Bring a box of Jaffa cakes (seriously!) to your appointment, smile broadly and wave them at your by now very friendly dealer and tell him you got them ''for the boys' teabreak'' Oh, don't ask for discount, just pay attention to what he/she tells you and make sure you have an excuse to pop in again to give them a bit more money a few days after you've bought your bike. New gloves or something.

You'll get a bike that fits (worth it's weight in gold) you'll get new mates who ride, you'll get free tea(keep this up by occasionally bringing in M&S biccies) you and your ride will get first class service and you'll probably never pay full price in there again. Good will goes a hell of a long way.

Enjoy

Top Bottom