Crow foot wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
I am wondering if anybody had built any wheels in a crow foot pattern.

I am interested in what peoples experiences are of using this particular pattern over a standard 3X, mainly as I am considering the possibility of building a crow foot wheel sometime.

Jonathan M

:ohmy::?::tongue: Never heard of one of these, are they like the old "snowflake" spoke patterns that MTB'rs used to love in the early-mid 90's?

barq

Don't have a personal opinion, but according to the wheel guru:

Wheels can be laced in spoking patterns that combine radial and crossed spokes. These patterns are interesting in appearance but do not have any measurable advantages over common crossed spoking patterns. For example, the "crow's-foot" pattern has two-thirds crossed spokes and one-third radial. The pattern is formed by a one or two crossed pattern with a radial spoke between each pair of opposing spokes. This pattern can only be used on wheels with spokes in multiples of six.
Brandt, J. (1983). The Bicycle Wheel. Avocet. (pp.75)​

derosa

I built a pair of 36H Crows Foot wheels for my commuter a couple of years ago. Not had any bother with them, just some odd comments from other cyclists whilst waiting for the traffic lights to change.

02GF74

Über Member
why would you want to?

This pattern reached its peak in popularity during the 1950's (not that it was that popular).

says it all I think.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i've still got a pair i built a few years ago and

1. they're plenty strong enough - as would 3x be
2. the building of them was slightly harder, as when you're taking up the slack after lacing, you need to do it a different amount for 12 of them compared to the other 24. but it's not much more difficult
3. when you buy your spokes, 24 of one length and 48 of another, the LBS may look at you like your a nutter and may even say it can't be done
4. your bike will look different to anyone else's bike, which given that you're considering it is a good thing

unless you're like me and enjoy being deliberately obtuse, there's no point -
but if you enjoy building wheels and being different, go for it.:thumbsup:

the rear of my 1950's RRA

PICT0213-1.jpg

brodie

So, compared to standard lacing:

disadvantages -
more difficult and takes longer to build,
needs different length spokes.

advantage -
looks different.

e-rider

crappy member
one more important disadvantage - not as strong; but probably strong enough!

The only advantage I can see is that you might think it looks cool and it's a bit different to everyone else - which is a fair point I guess.

hubgearfreak

Über Member
disadvantages -
more difficult and takes longer to build,
needs different length spokes.
not as strong; but probably strong enough!

advantage -
The only advantage I can see is that you might think it looks cool and it's a bit different to everyone else - which is a fair point I guess.
only a true wheel anorak would notice.

that's about it, yes.
a visual identifier, if you will, to establish your credentials as a true bicycle geek, to other true bicycle geeks.
what better reason could there be?;)

Top Bottom