Crown Race

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
i removed the crown race from an old (road) bike fork while refurbishing. i noticed it had split so was going to replace it
however i see you can buy crown races which are already pre split for ease of installation
so is there much point replacing it?

what are the pros/cons of press fitting vs a split one?
is it just an old technique?

thanks

Last edited:

Big John

Guru
It's unusual, but not impossible, for a crown race to split so are you sure it's definitely not a split one that was on the fork? Has this crown race got a sealed bearing above it or loose bearings? If it's a sealed unit I'd leave the old, split one on the fork but if it's loose bearings rolling round on it I'd probably go for a replacement, if that makes any sense.

OP
OP
NorthernSky
inside diameter is 30mm outside 41mm (if my eyes aren't lying to me :tongue:)

it's definitely broken @Big John , I must have done it removing it. didn't quite realise it would have been press fit originally
i've ordered a new sealed bearing to sit on top of it

i couldn't tell if the old bearing was seal or had just broken. i could see the bearings by removing the loose cover. whether is was meant to be loose or not i'm not sure.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
inside diameter is 30mm outside 41mm (if my eyes aren't lying to me :tongue:)

it's definitely broken @Big John , I must have done it removing it. didn't quite realise it would have been press fit originally
i've ordered a new sealed bearing to sit on top of it

i couldn't tell if the old bearing was seal or had just broken. i could see the bearings by removing the loose cover. whether is was meant to be loose or not i'm not sure.
Ok, so it's a 1 1/8" headset. Crown races tend to be headset-specific to achieve a close fit between the crown race and the lower cup, so it's best to get the right one (if available as a spare part).

Split races are quite common for 1 1/8", less so for 1".

OP
OP
NorthernSky
By the sound of it that isn't a 'race' it a support spacer, a race would have balls or rollers actually in contact with it.

hmmm, could be right. i don't know much about headsets and there seems to be so many types.
i'll see how i get on with this new bearing

raleighnut

Legendary Member
hmmm, could be right. i don't know much about headsets and there seems to be so many types.
i'll see how i get on with this new bearing

If it's the same as the old one you'll be fine

By the sound of it that isn't a 'race' it a support spacer, a race would have balls or rollers actually in contact with it.

That was my initial thought. I think it's called a compression washer. In my experience they normally sit at the upper race, which is why I held back to comment. It's easy to take apart a headset and put the parts back together in the wrong order, which may be the case here.

Top Bottom