Cruise Holidays

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not my cup o' tea....
Though good friend of mine, same age as me, loves them... but then again he was always older before his time...^_^

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
Apart from the attractiveness or otherwise of the itinerary and clientèle, I have always understood that the staff on board are hideously exploited even by the standards of the hospitality business, and by going on a cruise you are complicit in perpetuating that?
One of my mates worked on a cruise ship and loved it. Another of my mates still does and earns six figures, I'd like to be exploited to that salary.

swansonj

Guru
One of my mates worked on a cruise ship and loved it. Another of my mates still does and earns six figures, I'd like to be exploited to that salary.
I'm going to take a punt and guess that your mate was in one of the "professional" roles in a cruise ship, and was a citizen of a developed country, rather than housekeeping or kitchen staff, and from Asia or Central America?

Don't get me wrong, I recognise that pretty much all aspects of our lifestyle in the west depend on exploitation of the developing world - it just seems that the immediacy of the exploitation is maximised in a cruise ship.

OP
OP
cd365

cd365

Guru
I have spoken at length to housekeeping and kitchen staff and they have told me that they earn enough to send money home and buy a house when they leave the ship, something they wouldn't be able to do if they worked in their home country. One waiter was using his salary to put his children through private school.

Top Bottom