Cruiser and Comfort cycles

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arnuld

Über Member
I was looking at Raleigh bikes and came across these so called two types I have never heard of before: Cruiser bikes and Comfort bikes:

http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/cruiser/
http://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/comfort/

I checked Wikipedia but did not find anything related to the use of cruisers/comforts. For example FS MTBs are for mountain biking, road bikes are for paved roads, Hard-Tails are for trails (not rocky mountains) and hybrids you already know. What are Cruisers and Comforts for anyway ?

GrahamNR17

Basically novelty bikes, ridden because they are attractive? The cruiser is based on the American kids beach cruisers of the 40s and 50s. The comfort appears to be just a ladies version of the same theme. I don't think they have a particular purpose in life other than to be "cool".

My personal fave is the Paper Bike, I just like the design: http://www.paper-bicycle.com/

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Was in Los Angeles recently and the Cruiser bikes seemed very popular... saw a lot of people riding them and found a shop that seemed to sell nothing but..

Arch

Married to Night Train
arnuld said:
What are Cruisers and Comforts for anyway ?

Fun. People think they look cool, they ride them, they feel cool themselves, they have fun. Not everything has to have a practical purpose. Of course, they are also perfectly capable of carrying a rider where they want to go, which is the basic point of any bike....

If you really want to fry your brain, Google 'tall bikes'...

OP
OP
arnuld

arnuld

Über Member
Arch said:
Fun. People think they look cool, they ride them, they feel cool themselves, they have fun. Not everything has to have a practical purpose.

So what will qualify for a bike designed with comfort as primary criteria. Road bikes are for speed and efficiency, FS MTB for mountains, Hard-Tails for flat terrains. What for the comfort ?

Arch said:
If you really want to fry your brain, Google 'tall bikes'...

First thing I said was WTF ?? ;)

I wonder how they reach up to sit on them, on their own. They seem like a wastage of time to me.

Arch

Married to Night Train
arnuld said:
So what will qualify for a bike designed with comfort as primary criteria. Road bikes are for speed and efficiency, FS MTB for mountains, Hard-Tails for flat terrains. What for the comfort ?

A comfort bike is probably meant to cover shorter distances in greater... well, comfort. So probably quite upright, to put the weight on a well padded or sprung saddle, easy gearing and low maintenance. The sort of thing traditionally ridden by english vicars probably counts these days - the Pashley types mentioned by g00se. Cruisers have the same principles but tend to be more 'stylish', copying the look of 50's American bikes, with ballon tyres, maybe apehanger bars and a more pedal forward position.

First thing I said was WTF ?? :smile:

I wonder how they reach up to sit on them, on their own. They seem like a wastage of time to me.

Well, if you think having fun is a waste of time, then you're right. Once you know how to mount, and have the knack (I don't, I'm a coward), it's easy. Watch my youtube video here to see it done. A quick scoot, then climb up once you have momentum. Same as the old penny farthing type.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W03_wrJL5U

That is my late boyfriend, who built that bike out of an old bedframe for a tallbike gathering, it was the tallest one there. Two of the others had just been ridden round Britain by a pair of brothers:

http://www.tallbiketourbritain.com/index.htm

It's funny, how some people assume a bike has to have a serious point. I used to promote cycling for a job and among all our 'sensible' tryout bikes, commuters and road bikes and MTB's and recumbents, we had micro bikes and mini penny farthings, and there was always someone who asked "and what's the point of that one...." and who was bemused when we just said "it's for fun...". The people who 'got it' were the ones riding the silly stuff and laughing their heads off....

Dilbert

Mrs D has just bought a "Comfort" bike. It is basically a more upright riding position, which suits her, as more normal riding positions aggravate her bad back. It has a springy seat post. Having looked in every bike shop in a 100 mile radius:becool: before we got this one I can say they are quite widespread as a style at the moment.

Arch

Married to Night Train
And of course, the thing about bikes is that don't have to fit into a category - it's like dogs - you can have something purebred for a very specific purpose, but you can also have something all mongrelly that serves all sorts of purposes. If you get too hung up on definitions and the like, you can lose sight of the point of the bike - which is to get about, and enjoy it.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Hilldodger said:
<Famous saying in the human powerd vehicle world>

If you have to ask why, you're missing the point.:smile:

And I think, the better and more dedicated an engineer someone is, the more they 'get it'. Perhaps counterintuitively, its the humanities and arts people who often fail to 'get it'. Although that's based only on a small amount of observation.

OP
OP
arnuld

arnuld

Über Member
Arch said:
Well, if you think having fun is a waste of time, then you're right. Once you know how to mount, and have the knack (I don't, I'm a coward), it's easy. Watch my youtube video here to see it done. A quick scoot, then climb up once you have momentum. Same as the old penny farthing type.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W03_wrJL5U

That is my late boyfriend, who built that bike out of an old bedframe for a tallbike gathering, it was the tallest one there. Two of the others had just been ridden round Britain by a pair of brothers:

No I don't think fun is a waste of time, a risky fun is waste of time, I am not going to risk my head for fun. Anyway, if late boyfrined is out, I will submit my application for VISA processing :smile:

http://www.tallbiketourbritain.com/index.htm

Arch said:
It's funny, how some people assume a bike has to have a serious point. I used to promote cycling for a job and among all our 'sensible' tryout bikes, commuters and road bikes and MTB's and recumbents,

I also promote cycling, not only for job but also for commuting and all I got till date is people's laughs and female heads turning away from me and who cares, I am building my stamina and lost health. All those laughters either BP and Diabetic or possess a weak body.

jimboalee

What to do with a 'Cruiser' bike.

Fix a couple of Jubilee clips where the brake levers should be. Each holds a piece of bent plate to simulate the brake handle fixing.

Change the front mudguard bolt with a much longer one which sticks out about 6" forward of the forks. ( Threaded bar will do ).

When you come out of the newsagent with your bag of newspapers to go on your delivery round, tie the strap of the bag around the 'hooks' you have fitted to the handlebars and rest the bag on the extended bolt you have fitted above the front mudguard.

As you ride along, you can take a newspaper out of the bag and hurl it at the front door of the house it is to be delivered to.

Top Bottom