Cube Arial vs old CB

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have , a number of months ago anyway, just done up an old Claud Butler (Majestic circa 1980 10-speed) with a Reynolds 531 frame. Lovely bike it is and have managed a number of long rides and she goes just fine.

However, I am thinking very much of going for something new and racy around the £600 mark and being very new to road bikes I'm wondering what to expect? I appreciate it's not exactly a top of the range bike - the Arial - but have heard good things about the bike and so anyone with any experience of it, what can I expect that will be different? Am I wasting my time and will I find any major difference? I'm not getting rid of the CB but want another bike just for a different feel or something faster in other words...so go on give us your opinion.

If I want that different an experience should I go for something worth a bit more? What do you all reckon bearing in mind I'm new to road and racing bikes...

From the reviews I would expect the Aerial to be reasonably stiff - meaning it will transmit power ok but with the slight downside being quite a bit of vibration from the road.

Basically with any bike it is the wheels and frame that make the big differences - and the stock wheels on the Cube wont be up to much.

You could alternatively source a second-hand bike off eBay for £400 and then a s/h pair of wheels with little use for around £200.

Spud

Look at the thread Planet X or Boardman. The Boardman have a bike about £650 which I haven't found a bad review of yet.Don't be put off by the Halfords attachment - its the bike you are interested in.

OP
OP
Monsieur Remings
Thanks chaps, very helpful. Decided not to go for one in the end and think I might hold my horses for a time and possibly go for a Boardman instead. Unfortunately it won't be for a while!

Shame they don't do finance at Halfords...

Top Bottom