Cube or Giant Liv (first road bike)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hayleyh

Hello,

I'm looking to get a bit of advice.

I've been cycling a Trek FX2 Disk since May 2020. I love it but I wouldn't mind looking at upgrading to a road bike.

I cycle about 15-20km about 3-4 times a week but would like to get into cycling further distances. I also use the bike for day to day commuting, too.

I've also never cycled a road bike before, so this would be my first one. So I have pretty basic knowledge of them. Are they only decent for cycling long distances or would it be ok to use as a day-to-day commuter, too?

Bike supplies in Ireland is running low at the moment and the only options in my price range locally are these two:

https://www.cube.eu/en/2021/bikes/road/road-race/attain/cube-attain-race-blacknwhite/

OR

https://www.liv-cycling.com/ie/avail-sl-2-disc-2020

Which is the better bike to go for? Will I notice a big difference between the two above and my current Trek? Any advice much welcomed.

Dan77

Both look like nice bikes. Personally I prefer the Cube but it's down to individual taste/preference really. Very similar specs from the quick look I've had.

I started on an FX2 Disc in May too! Bought a Canyon road bike in October. In hindsight I think I should have gone for a cheaper road bike because I'm not sure I should be using it as a commuter bike.

You'll be fine commuting on those as long as you stick to the roads. Might be worth checking for mounts in case you want to fit mudguards, pannier racks etc. at any point.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Which is available in the correct size for you? What size do you need?
For the Cube, being a men’s bike, include the cost of a wsd saddle and potentially narrower handlebars in your budget.
Arguably the acute has the better brakes Spyres, which are the best mechanical discs out there, vs Giants proprietary system
Go try them out obviously too

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My wife has a Liv & loves it. If they are local any possibility of a test ride to see which is most comfortable for you? The Liv is woman specific so may be a better fit
If you're going to keep the bike for a long time Liv also offer a lifetime warranty on frame, Cube only 6 years 👍

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Both look fairly evenly matched. Guess your choice might be down to availability.
Not clear if you’re going to use it for commuting but an essential for that would be mudguards which it doesn’t look like either take.

Top Bottom