Cumberland challenge 2010 - 5th September - Whos Doing it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SBaxter

Just signed up for this event, looks set to be a big challenge considering I only got back into cycling this year!!! will be the longest I have ridden in one go and also the highest :smile:

Who else is doing it this year? may need some support along the way ;)

Link - http://www.thecumberlandchallenge.co.uk

dodgy knees

hi am also doin the cumberland chall insted of hell of north, hav heard it is well supported and one of the better ones around, hopefully see you there :hello:

OP
OP
S

SBaxter

The weather is a bit of a concern as its never brilliant up that way and judging by the beautifull July / August were having I am not holding my breath for September! :smile:

Have you done this kind of distance before Dodgy knees?

dodgy knees

hi
hav done a few 100 plus milers this year, never done the cumb chall, used to do hell of north but hav decided to do this one as it gets really good reviews on all forums, the weather we cant book the weather, but im sure it cant be as bad as when done the radar ride in scotland last month

OP
OP
S

SBaxter

Sound like a pro in comparison to me!

never done 100 in one go, so should be good.. although managing to get well over 100 in a week training, doing 70 ish in the peak district on Saturday in preperation so fingers crossed I should be fit for it :smile:

dodgy knees

hi
i jst like cycling, most people are aiming for something and most wud say it is doin a century ride, i say you jst go at ur own pace, does matter wot other people do, i enjoy the challenge and talking to people from different parts of country, askin about other sportives and wot they are like. hope u enjoy the ride, dont worry bout weather

OP
OP
S

SBaxter

Hi,

Yes I did start the ride and was really enjoying it until ...14 Miles... My back wheel went, and when I say went I mean it was buckled and wobbling clearly to do with the spokes creating a very wobbly ride especially on the descents :sad: I tried to fix it best I could and managed another 4 - 5 miles but think i probably made it worse in the end and as anything more than i had done was well away from my skill level of trying to straighten / true a wheel at the roadside and with no mechanics on the course I had to DNF as I didnt fancy Coming off the bike as is inevitabley what would of happened and coming down hartside would not be a great place for that to happen.

Very dissapointed having put all the preperation in, so currently looking for another Sportive to do before the end of the season, might try the lancashire loop looks good although no where near as challenging and of course will be signing up for next year as quickly as possible.

How did you get on? weather turned great in the afternoon, presume you took full advantage of that wind heading back to brampton from hartside?

Cheers

Scott

dodgy knees

hi scott
compleded the ride, sun did get out but was still windy,especialy last ten mile a nice headwind,the second half was quite unrelenting nothing like the profile, it was up down up down with no restbite , but still enjoyed it. if u livein north there is a charity ride from alnwick to scotland and back on 19 sept if ur interested £25 entry and£25 sponsor everything including feedstops and dinner all included its called the cross border , and its 100 mile

OP
OP
S

SBaxter

Thanks for the info Dodgy.

I live in manchester so might be a bit difficult to get up to do the one you mentioned so will probably plump for the lancashire one, I believe it takes in part of the 1st stage of the tour of britain so hopefully be a good ride, if its good enough for the pros its good enough for me ;)

dodgy knees

Thanks for the info Dodgy.

I live in manchester so might be a bit difficult to get up to do the one you mentioned so will probably plump for the lancashire one, I believe it takes in part of the 1st stage of the tour of britain so hopefully be a good ride, if its good enough for the pros its good enough for me ;)

Top Bottom