Custom racing bike build... need frame and compatibility advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mawilbolou

Hi All

I need a bit of advice if possible, as every bike shop I go to dont really want to help me as I am getting all my parts second hand.

So... I am in the process of getting all parts together to build my own
Racing bike.

I have the following parts so far.

- Campagnolo Record Front Mech
- Campagnolo Veloce Cassete (10 sp)
- Campagnolo Veloce Rear Mech
- Campagnolo Veloce Crankset - Veloce crankset with 53 and 39 chainrings, 170mm long and taper BB compatible also Campagnolo
- Campagnolo Khamsin G3 700c wheels
- Shimano Dura ace 7800 Brake calipers
- ITM Bar end Brake levers
- Profile airwing base bars with Stryke tri-bars

So basically, I need to know about the frame...(That I havent got yet)
and its compatibilty with the gear I have got already.

EG if I got an oldish 531 frame, would be any good? Or should I get newer Aluminium frame?
Or does anyone have a frame in mind or one for sale even?

I have a budget of 200 pounds for the frame (second hand or new).

And in addition to that, is the gear I have chosen going to be compatible?
I believe it will be but I would like to get some opinions :ohmy:

Thanks for any help.

M

PpPete

Legendary Member
Is the BB you bought English or Italian threaded?
Your frame will need to be compatible.

If you get an old frame you may have issues with OLN (your wheels will be 130mm) and also brake drop.

Using tri-bars (presumably with bar end shifters) you'll need bosses on downtube or at side of headset for cable adjustment.

You also need to think about headset type - if frame is for 1" quill stem then you'll likely need an adapter to fit a suitable stem for the base bar.

What size frame do you need?

OP
OP
M

mawilbolou

porkypete said:
Is the BB you bought English or Italian threaded?
Your frame will need to be compatible.

If you get an old frame you may have issues with OLN (your wheels will be 130mm) and also brake drop.

Using tri-bars (presumably with bar end shifters) you'll need bosses on downtube or at side of headset for cable adjustment.

You also need to think about headset type - if frame is for 1" quill stem then you'll likely need an adapter to fit a suitable stem for the base bar.

What size frame do you need?

It was on a bob jackson frame, which is English..., the guy that i bought it off... guessed English as he bought outboard BB with English thread and it fitted !

So basically...
- the right thread type on BB which i think I now know!
- a newish frame as the gear is quite new with Bosses for cables
- and I have a braze on front Mech so I could either use an adaptor or have the fittings already there...

I think I need a 58-60cm I am 6ft 1" (1m 84ish)

Brilliant.

I think I know what to buy now!
If anyone knows of a frame this size and priced at around 200 let me know..

thanks for the answers!

Chrisz

Über Member
mawilbolou said:
Brilliant.

I think I know what to buy now!
If anyone knows of a frame this size and priced at around 200 let me know..

thanks for the answers!

Have a look at Ribble's website - they have a sale on for frames at the moment. ;)

OP
OP
M

mawilbolou

Found a nice frame, that is oldish!

Hi there

Just to follow up ...
I found a nice frame... It is an oldish 531 frame in the right size.
But because of its age, it still has the old gear lever pegs.

Is it not possible to attach a gear cable stop/boss to the downtube gear lever peg??

Will1985

Über Member
Looks like a TT/Tri bike to me.
How are you planning to change gear? Campag indexed bar end shifters will set you back quite a lot. They can be found second hand but they're pretty rare. If you find a pair of 9spd shifters you can swap it with a 10spd index gear from Mercian.

Yes you can fit cable stops onto the old school lever bosses - Campag make them. If you're after genuine, I've just found some on eBay, otherwise Ribble have some own brand ones.

OP
OP
M

mawilbolou

Will1985 said:
Looks like a TT/Tri bike to me.
How are you planning to change gear? Campag indexed bar end shifters will set you back quite a lot. They can be found second hand but they're pretty rare. If you find a pair of 9spd shifters you can swap it with a 10spd index gear from Mercian.

Yes you can fit cable stops onto the old school lever bosses - Campag make them. If you're after genuine, I've just found some on eBay, otherwise Ribble have some own brand ones.

Hiya Will

I have managed to find some bar end shifters...
And yes it is going a Tri bike on the cheap!

Can u post the link for the campag lever boss stops please??
I will check it out.

If I can get this frame (which is cheap at the mo) and attach these cable stops then the bike would be pretty much finished.
I am going to take it to Mercian (who are 3 mins walk from me) to put together!

Chrisz

Über Member
I think I have a set of downtube gear cable bosses (in silver) on an old frame I'm about to throw away - if you want them PM me your address and I'll have a quick look in the shed and post them out to you :biggrin:

OP
OP
M

mawilbolou

Thanks for the offer there Chrisz I have PM'd you!

Will: I have an old Selle saddle, which is brilliantly comfortable. I could buy a new one, but this saddle is wicked... had it for years!
I thought I would go look pedals...PP337

Chrisz

Über Member
No worries mawibolou - had I thought about it sooner I also have a large Allan frame (I think it's 58 - 60cm) you could have had - no forks though.

Top Bottom