Cutting tiled kitchen splashback.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
We have a fitted kitchen with the electricity meter mounted behind one of the wall mounted units, the meter is set back in the cavity. Theres a tiled splashback between the wall and floor mounted units. The wall is plastered ( 1950’s house )
I had the electricity company come to fit a Smart Meter, unfortunately the incoming mains fuse is inaccessible as it sits behind the splashback. I’m after advice as to how to gain access to it while causing the minimum damage. I’m thinking that I could saw down between the tiles / wall and remove a section to allow access, but wondered about reattaching?
Anyone have any similar experience? ( I have a feeling that my wife will be angling for a new Kitchen 😮)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Can’t quite visualise the situation. What are the tiles attached to? Ply, plasterboard or hardboard? A pic might help. Rather than saw I’d advise using a angle grinder as the sawing motion might loosen the other tiles.

Last edited:

Adam4868

Guru
As Cyclops said it depends what's behind tiles.Plasrerboard or solid wall ? If plasterboard its not that hard to cut with a small handsaw,once tiles are removed.You could easily replace with a sort of access panel.Pretty hard to describe but im sure it's do able.

the snail

Guru

presta

Guru
I removed a few tiles from the bathroom wall to fit a new shower cable. To avoid the risk of pulling adjacent tiles off, start by scraping the grout out from around the tiles you're removing with a hacksaw blade in a pad handle. Then carefully chip out the tiles with a chisel and bolster, starting in the middle and working outwards.

It helps if you kept some spare tiles for repair work at the time you did the original tiling, of course.

Top Bottom