Cutting trees down overnight in Plymouth

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My parents village had a big protest some years ago about tree felling.
The area did look pretty bad for a year or so bit nature did what nature does and the area now is a huge improvement.
So the protestors aren’t always right.

Yes, that's the silver lining to these things (as I try to tell myself through my initial horror+sadness!).
It's a bit like culling a species - it can be good for the overall ecosystem, even though you would never do the equivalent to humans!

(Don't know enough detail on how this applies in Plymouth).

The trees where I used to live, opposite Lord's cricket ground were felled one day because the ground floor residents complained about daylight. Without any consultation the mature lime trees were all cut down. The increase in traffic noise and pollution was instantly noticeable.
Mass tree felling seems so obviously retrograde why are they doing it in such a sneaky way. Some suggest the cost of mature tree maintenance is the reason.

Gillstay

Über Member
Round here there started chopping down tress a few years ago

Lots of people moaning on forums and stuff

I decided to ask why and emailed the local counsellor - turned out that the tress were planted man years ago and they were not really suitable for public areas
This particular type of tree is notorious for growing perfectly happily for a certain amount of time - then randomly start dropping branches with no warning.
One of two of then had dropped branches near a local nursery - one nearly hit a person with a kid in a pushchair - so the counsel tree people decided it was time to get rid of them before someon got him or one dropped on the road causing a vehicele to swerve and cause an accident.

Turns out that the counsel has a policy of chopping down trees when necessary - but replacing every one with 2 more - and to use more natural (for the area) species.
however, they did have to leave the replanting for over 6 months for the ground to stabilise
But once that time was up then the new trees were planted
Apparently the extra ones have been planted in other parts of the town where there were fewer trees in the past.

Sometime th ecounsel are just being idiots - but sometimes they have good reasons
Best thing would seem to be to persuade then to have the right policies in place before anything happens!!

Its about risk though and cutting down trees when they are low risk makes no sense. We accept cars and very large lorries near local nursery's but not allowed a tree that beautifies the area and cleans our air. There is also often a lack of of trees where they give benefits to people, so planting elsewhere is often not the solutions. Hence guerrilla planting occurring.

I have come across a load of stuff where trees get cut down because the roots are damaging the pavements
rather than fix the problems when they occur they just cut the whole row of trees down
apparently there are ways of fixing it but you need professionals to see to it and it costs more than just lobbing tarmac at it

Itw been reported in one chipwrapper that the carnssler that authorised this lives in a leafy tree line avenue half a mile away, and none of those trees are being felled.

Where I grew up there were a lot of roads with trees

over time they have all been cut down for a variety of reasons

Funnily enough - down the coast a bit is the Royal Liverpool Golf Club - and the local Conservative club next door which is rather huge and posh - big driveway and all that

trees round there seem just fine

jus sayin

Councillors in Cambridge have voted to chop down a mature orchard of local varity fruits in Coton Orchard to make way for an electric bus system.

Drago

Legendary Member
Councillors in Cambridge have voted to chop down a mature orchard of local varity fruits in Coton Orchard to make way for an electric bus system.
That seems environmentally sound.

Top Bottom