cycle anti theft trackers ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
on the 5th nov 2010 my youngest son had his bmx stolen he never leaves it as a rule but my eldest son called him in a shop, you know what kids and sweets are like :laugh: my eldest son had borrowed youngest sons bike lock earlier that day and not put it back.
he was in the shop for 30 secs when two teenagers walked out the shop and was looking very suspicious on the cctv screen so my youngest ran out and by that time saw his bike being ridden off at high speed he was in tears when he got home as he thought i would go mad as i had just fitted new innertube, brake cables, and brake blocks that day as well as cleaned it up and oiled everything including re greasing all bearings etc .
the cctv footage got automatically wiped after 3 days as police said to shop owner we told you to save it ?
there answer was sorry it automatically wipes we forgot to press save button :angry:
i think there should be a cheap tracker available the same as cars and vans use so it can be tracked down immeadiately and the theives brought to justice.....i don,t think we,ll see it again but who knows.
the police are doing a lot i give them their due there but without this kind of deterant surely locked or not more bikes will be stolen daily.....i am so paranoid i even keep mine in bedroom locked to radiator lol :laugh:

Trouble is the cost would be more than the bike is worth in most cases and equally there would be no benefit from a decrease in insurance

Car tracking systems are also a technology that is powered and again there is no facility on bikes.

The nearest I use is the "Immobilise" identification system which is a frame fitting plug that can be read by the POlice if the bike is recovered or suspected to be stolen.

byegad

Legendary Member
AND you'd need to find a Police Force willing to track the bike down. Stolen bikes are seen as minor, even when valuable.

Canardly

Veteran
I wouldn't have thought that a transponder cost that much. They are talking about clothes being fitted with these as anti theft devices in shops so cant be that dear.

ELL

Über Member
I know its annoying having a bike stolen but I think the cost of he tracker would far out weigh the cost of insuring the bike. For cars a the GPS tracker is £450 with £135 annual subscription. Put that against about £60 a year to insure the bike on house insurance home and away (that's my road bike covered bikes up to value of £350 are covered automatically) and its not worth having a tracker. Also I can see what will happen is you will have a tracker that will be visible to thieves and they will just take it off or it will be in the seat tube and the batteries will run out and when the bike gets stolen it wont work.

Top Bottom