Cycle cam, mounts etc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all

Having seen soem interesting footage, and a near miss this morning, I am contempating in getting a web cam (1080 of course) for my irregular cycle commute. Ihave had a quick search and could not see a relevant thread, so sorry if this is a repeated question

So several questions

1. Which brand/model should I consider?
  2. Which model/brand should I avoid like the plague?
  3. How much memory space is required to record a ~45 minute commute?
  4. What is the best video editing software for the task in hand
Thank you in advance

BSRU

A Human Being
Hi all

Having seen soem interesting footage, and a near miss this morning, I am contempating in getting a web cam (1080 of course) for my irregular cycle commute. Ihave had a quick search and could not see a relevant thread, so sorry if this is a repeated question

So several questions

1. Which brand/model should I consider?
  2. Which model/brand should I avoid like the plague?
  3. How much memory space is required to record a ~45 minute commute?
  4. What is the best video editing software for the task in hand
Thank you in advance

I can only comment from my experience and that is the ContourHD 1080p, seems to be a popular camera with cyclists due it's size and build quality. I have two, one for a year now and it's still going strong through all the rain, snow and sub zero temperatures. There is a waterproof case for it but I never use mine, it is more for using the camera under or on water, the standard camera is waterproof enough, in my opinion.

I have my Contour set to maximum quality so a 45 minute commute would use about 4.5 G of memory, 1GB per 10 minutes. I use a 16GB class 6 memory card, which gives me over two hours of recording space, and have some extra 8GB memory cards if required.

I use Power Director 8 to edit my video's, no experience of any other editors. You need to ensure your PC is powerful enough to edit HD video.

I can only comment from my experience and that is the ContourHD 1080p, seems to be a popular camera with cyclists due it's size and build quality. I have two, one for a year now and it's still going strong through all the rain, snow and sub zero temperatures. There is a waterproof case for it but I never use mine, it is more for using the camera under or on water, the standard camera is waterproof enough, in my opinion.

I have my Contour set to maximum quality so a 45 minute commute would use about 4.5 G of memory, 1GB per 10 minutes. I use a 16GB class 6 memory card, which gives me over two hours of recording space, and have some extra 8GB memory cards if required.

I use Power Director 8 to edit my video's, no experience of any other editors. You need to ensure your PC is powerful enough to edit HD video.

Thanks, it was a couple of your videos that got me thinking again..

i just need to commute more to make it worth while!

Adrian

Top Bottom