Cycle Carrier for Car - Tow Bar Mount

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Keith

Hope this is the right place for this - apologies if not.

Just bought a new car and had the tow bar factory fitted so I can put a cycle carrier on it.

The tow bar folds down from under the bumper and as a result doesn't have a large amount of clearance between ball and bumper.

I am looking at the Thule Euroclassic G5 908 (2 cycles) see here.

So, after rambling, my question, is does anyone have one of these carriers (or similar Thule carrier) and if so could you please advise on how much clearance between the ball and bumper is required.

I found one website selling it which said they thought 66mm was required but had not confirmed it. Having measured mine, I have about 60mm absolute max.

Don't want to have to buy the Mercedes-branded carrier, which looks the same as the Thule but instead of £250 costs £450 ;), but it is guaranteed to fit.

Can't find anywhere local either that has them in stock so I can go down and try one on.

Thanks in advance.

shippers

Have a good look at the measurements- but this might save you a few quid- http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.204-0886.aspx

It's the from Tesco, it's a Thule model still, 2 bike tow-bar mounted one. But instead of Two Hundred and Fifty Pounds, it's £35.

shippers

Is there a smilie for "hang my head in shame"?

Thought it was too good to be true! Still cheaper than the other option... but that doesn't excuse my hideous oversight.

Norm

I have a Thule 9503, which is fantastic and cost around £115 from these guys. I used them initially because they were close to where I worked, but they have been fantastic and I've pointed a few other happy customers their way.

I'm not sure which measurement is restricting you to 60mm (vertical or horizontal?) but that one just slips over the top of the tow ball so, as long as the tow ball isn't under the car, that should work.

Not sure where you are, Keith, but if it's anywhere near Windsor, you are welcome to come and have a play with out.

OP
OP
K

Keith

Thanks for the offer, but I'm up North so quite a way :rolleyes:

60mm is the gap between the ball when deployed and the bumper on my car.

Norm

That one needs about 2mm then. :rolleyes:

OP
OP
K

Keith

Managed to find a picture of the Thule one on Google Images and it does have an overhang behind the tow ball!

Will definitely have to find a local supplier to try it out first.

Norm

I haven't yet got a mental image of your restriction. I could (in the morning now!) take a pic of mine when fitted if you like, if you think it will help.

OP
OP
K

Keith

If you look at the car side on, there is a natural gap between the rear bumper and the ball of the tow bar. This is the gap which may cause me a restriction. The gap on my car is barely 60mm.

Top Bottom