Cycle facilities - lets design one?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
we have a suitable and affordable public transport system in London. The question is - how many more cities can we have such a system.

The problem with all this is that private cars are a declining part of traffic. We can eliminate them, and still have congestion

Sadly London and Edinburgh are the only two cities that spring to mind :sad: With fuel prices falling again I wonder if private cars on road will increase again?

blockend

If we leave out the most successful practice unless it's directly translatable elsewhere and the worst because it has little to tell us we're left with the typical and the picture is not a pretty one for the cyclist.

I've given up on one size fits all transport solutions to the social, geographic and topographic diversity of the UK, in practice, pragmatism already rules. Places with the potential for cycling will enjoy it and those with shitty roads will still have its hard core of leisure riders who seek out the byways and cut-throughs.
The debate to my mind is whether we intervene to accommodate cyclists where conditions don't lend themselves to cycling or trust riders to find another means of transport.

Top Bottom