Cycle jersey sizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marooned

Über Member
Hi, can anyone please give me an insight into cycle jersey sizing? I've seen sizes like 6 and 8 - what does this relate to in terms of small/medium etc. Also, if any females can convert that to womens sizing. I am looking to get a few jerseys and am a size 10 in normal tops, though I am quite tall so need the length. I hate tops riding up my back.

I know you may say go and try things on for sizing, but I can't eaily get out to my local bike shops and I am looking online. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

WIGGLE were offering free returns on clothing so that could be good for you.

Sizes always seem to be way out in my experience, I have never been able to buy any item of cycle clothing in my actual size, and that goes for shoes too.

You'll probably need at least one, maybe two and possibly three sizes up from your norm. Experience of brands obviously helps but most reputable brands usually quote their sizes in S,M,L,XL etc, so you can judge from that perhaps.

zizou

Veteran
Sizing varies quite a bit between brands - i go from a small to extra large depending on the brand - generally Italian brands size up smaller than others. It also varies in the brands themselves depending on the cut and fit. Gore for example do 3 different types of fit - comfort, slim and tight.

The numbered clothing i have is Nalini - there a 4 = large, 5 = XL (etc).

pepecat

I tend to buy blokes tops and i find a small or occasionally a medium fits me (i'm female, if you hadn't guessed!). I don't like a tight fit jersey, so i tend to go for a slightly baggier fit and men's small is generally ok. Men's tops also tend to be a bit long on me (which i also quite like), so that does me fine. Wiggle or decathlon do decent ones and you can order from both online. Wiggle's returns policy is pretty good - I don't know about decathlon's though.

lesley_x

Über Member
I've got a lot of my stuff abroad where there is a better selection for women. Pearl Izumi outlet in Florida was great, got most of my stuff from there
biggrin.gif

I haven't bought any women's tops in the UK, cause they tend to be pretty bland. Only thing I have bought is a winter outfit from Decathlon which has been fantastic quality and fit for the money.

Generally I buy mens tops in a small and sometimes mens shorts in a medium. Decathlons mens bibs fit me great and even their cheapest tops for a tenner are a great fit and very comfortable.

Whereas when you go to the womens stuff it's a bit bland and meh.

Hi, can anyone please give me an insight into cycle jersey sizing? I've seen sizes like 6 and 8 - what does this relate to in terms of small/medium etc. Also, if any females can convert that to womens sizing. I am looking to get a few jerseys and am a size 10 in normal tops, though I am quite tall so need the length. I hate tops riding up my back.

Remember US sizes are completely bonkers generally - hence the 'size zero models' debate - that's zero US; which is not zero UK.
In normal clothes terms, I'm really an 8 in jeans (although due to size inflation that is usually now a 6, UK; store dependent); but in US sizes I'm a 4.

...Oh, and have a look at Minx Girl, I really like the selection; and it's a well designed website with proper size conversions.
The owner is also very helpful if you email any questions or queries...

Top Bottom