Cycle Lanes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OK - another cycling lane question that most of you will probably find trivial - but after a long lay off cycling I just want to make sure my instincts are correct.......

On my journey to/from work I encounter a stretch of road where there are cycle lanes on both sides. I know I'm not forced to use these - but as they lead through a longish tunnel (think Monaco GP but without the view!!) I always do.

I always use the lane on the side of the road I would be riding on, using the theory that I can then filter straight back onto the road at the lane end without any hassle! I suspect there's no law that says I have to use the lane on this side as I keep running into people coming in the opposite direction (which to my mind - around a bend is dangerous!).

Am I right in assuming this?

Also what really annoys me is finding pedestrians on the cycle route especially as there is no pedestrian component on the sign - but that's a rant for another time!

gbb

Legendary Member
Hiya SD.
Can't say i know the law on this one, but logic says the oncoming cyclists are riding on the wrong side of the road, which may or may not be against the law.
I'd suggest getting hold of your local council or the Police to highlight the concern that one day, someones going to be forced into the traffic. I'd like to think they'd take this very seriosly, especially in these days of health and safety/responsibility.
As a comparison, i had a cycle lane that was repainted, and in their wisdom they narrowed the lane, leaving oncoming cyclists perilously close to the buses that passed. I reported my concerns to the Highways Agency (IIRC) and it was repainted within a week or so.

In short, report to the relevent agencies.

Also what really annoys me is finding pedestrians on the cycle route especially as there is no pedestrian component on the sign - but that's a rant for another time!

There is no pedestrian signs on the road yet they can walk there and have right of way... Thus the same for your "lane".

The sign mearly suggests you can cycle there, and is not fully inclusive.

Do you need to cycle this path? Is the road dangerous/poor etc? Unless it is keep on the road, no filtering issues/pedestrians/oncoming cyclists etc etc.

SquareDaff - I assume you mean a cycle-path, ie something that is physically separated from the road by more than a bit of paint?
The thing is that you can't cycle on a cycle-path in the same way you would cycle when on the road.

Just keep you speed under control and your wits about you.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
If we're talking cycle path, you can use either side unless it says otherwise. It's not in the slightest bit uncommon for shared use paths on main roads to be only one one side of the road, so if you think about it for a second the policy wouldn't make a great deal of sense restricting cyclists to one side. As journeys are not necessarily symmetric there are good reasons to sometimes be on the 'wrong' side.

Although you could theoretically ban pedestrians from a cyclepath, there is just no point building such a facility or enforcing it, it would be spectacularly bad value for money.

OP
OP
SquareDaff

SquareDaff

Über Member
Do you need to cycle this path? Is the road dangerous/poor etc? Unless it is keep on the road, no filtering issues/pedestrians/oncoming cyclists etc etc.
I'm pretty confident on a bike but wouldn't risk it. The road bends left meaning visibility is reduced at the speeds cars travel. Throw in the underground aspect and the fact it's only just getting light when I go through and I think it's safer to be off the road!

Top Bottom