Cycle lock for child's bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Anyone recommend a good lock for child's bike? Mainly for outside shop or when it's left next to playground. He's only 5 so we are there all the time and would carry it in a rucksack. Just a bit of security when it's out of sight. I was thinking a small U lock perhaps ?

Security may be a second consideration versus usability

5 year olds lose keys and may find the weight and dexterity required for some locks a challenge

Neck lanyards may help with key retention, but MUST have a break mechanism for kids an climbing frames because they will snag

Sometimes a combination is easier for this age group

However you are the one who will need to make these decisions as you know the abilities

OP
OP
rideswithmoobs
Security may be a second consideration versus usability

5 year olds lose keys and may find the weight and dexterity required for some locks a challenge

Neck lanyards may help with key retention, but MUST have a break mechanism for kids an climbing frames because they will snag

Sometimes a combination is easier for this age group

However you are the one who will need to make these decisions as you know the abilities

He won't be expected to use the lock himself. He will always be with me or his mum and we will use the lock so I suppose I'm asking for a suitable lock for a child's bike or a good brand of general cycle lock.
Sorry if initial post was confusing :okay:

He won't be expected to use the lock himself. He will always be with me or his mum and we will use the lock so I suppose I'm asking for a suitable lock for a child's bike or a good brand of general cycle lock.
Sorry if initial post was confusing :okay:

There is another angle

A 5 year old is old enough to learn "good practice"

Start them with the habit of loccking the bike up early and it will save a lot of pain later.. That is why I had assumed the child would be handling the lock

Top Bottom