Cycle Maintenance : spanner sizes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wbmkk

Veteran
Are the nuts on bikes of a standard size, for the majority of bikes ?

For example the nuts on wheels, brakes and saddles

I am getting sick of using the multi holed tool I probably got with my first bike, and think it's maybe time to get a few spanners.

thanks !

Its that long since I had a bike that needed a spanner, I forget but get your self a dumbell spanner, you can just rotate it so its not a problem if they are different sizes.

Edit sorry is that what you meant by a multi holed tool.

I bought a multitool for an old bike once, which had lots of different sizes of spanners.

tyred

Legendary Member
As a general rule, wheel nuts are 14mm front, 15mm back. 8mm or possibly 10mm for adjusting brakes. Seat post clamp, if it's got a nut rather than an Allen key head, will likely be 13mm but could be 12mm or 14mm. 17mm should fit the locknuts on the back axle, slim cone spanners for the bearing cones usually fit a variety of sizes. 1 1/4" AF seems to fit most threaded headset locknuts but a large adjustable spanner will do. Pedals will typically require a 15mm open end spanner and dedicated pedal spanners are available.

If you're working on a vintage English 3-Speed, throw out the rule book as everything is most probably BSF/BSW.

Assuming you're working on a reasonably modern bike, I would just buy a set of metric combination spanners. Sets typically cover the range 6mm to 24mm. Some you won't need for bike work but it's still probably cheaper than buying the ones you do need individually. Buy the best you can afford. A set of spanners can be a lifetime purchase, poorly fitting cheap ones can skin your knuckles and ruin the nut.

OP
OP
wbmkk

wbmkk

Veteran
Thanks to both of your for your replies.

Current bike is an old Raleigh Equippe.

Regards !

Top Bottom