cycle routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jeremy Parker

suzi said:
I know the quickest route for me to commute is probably down the local A road but I would prefer to be a bit more countrified and I am struggling to find a route which is not much further but tons more pleasant. Are there any good equivalents to multimap etc for cyclists that include off road routes?
Like others I would suggest a paper map

Using maps is like fixing punctures. It's easiest to start using them in a warm dry living room, rather than in the cold, rain and dark, by the side of the road.

Get one that shows your home, and see if there is anything interesting in the neighbourhood that you didn't know about. See whether the map is wrong anywhere. It takes time for new stuff to get onto a map, and occasionally there are mistakes, although British maps are usally pretty good. Sometimes the mistakes are deliberate. Map makers put in such mistakes, so they can see whether anyone is plagiarizing their map. Hopefully they do it where it won't be noticed, and won't matter to anyone using the map.

See what the map people consider important, and what they don't bother to show. Road maps for motorists, for example, quite often leave out railways, but railways can be useful for cyclists, because they make good landmarks, and you might even want to take your bike on a train. Maps have to leave out lots of things, just for the sake of being able to read the map, but some people get very bent out of shape by this, and go on about it being due to to the imperialistic designs of the ruling classes, suppressing the culture of the indigenous people, and so forth.

If you are just starting with maps, it might be wise to assume that you will sacrifice your first map, and will mess it up by drawing routes all over it with felt marker, making notes on it, or even cutting it up with scissors, if it's big eough to be a nuisance in one piece. You can always buy a second copy later, if your first one gets too messed up.

For the countryside the Ordnance Survey Landranger maps are nowadays pretty much the standard map for cyclists to use. In towns they have the disadvantage that they don't show street names, which makes them less useful than other maps for getting yourself un-lost if you take a wrong turn.

There's another series of maps, Bartholemew's ("Bart's") maps, that used to be regarded as the ideal maps for cyclists. What made them so good was the way they showed height, low places in green, higher in different kinds of brown, and so on. This made looking at them almost like looking at a 3D model of the earth, which is handy for cycling round the hills rather than over them, and also handy for keeping a general idea of where you are as you look at your surroundings. You can still get Bart's maps in second hand bookshops, probably more cheaply than a new map. They won't show the new stuff of course, but new roads are almost guaranteed to be the kind of road that are horrible (or even illegal) for riding a bike

I hope this helps

Jeremy Parker

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Maps are beautiful.... I love looking at them... (there I have declared my maddness)

I use a combination of Memory Map (digial map I've bought), and also council freebie cycle maps (obviously varries depending on your council) and live local on-line... that has the additional option of being able to look at the arial photo. I use that to plan junctions on new routes ... to pick out a significant landmark or to see what the actual road layout of a junction might be if I'm worried about it (is there a filter lane or traffic lights ... how many lanes on the roundabout etc).

Which area of the country are you in... someone might know if the council provides good maps?

OP
OP
W

Willow

I have got some cycle maps from the council which are fairly good and I think there is a route I could take but it is through 2 national trust properties and down the side of a golf course and I think the gates will be closed. I may actually phone them to find out. The alternative would be a D tour up the downs and back down again which I don't think I'll be up to yet. The main road is up and down all the way I guess I will soon get used to that but want to be away from the traffic.

If anyone has an quiet root from say Effingham Junction Station to Bushy Hill Drive (Merrow, guildford) please tell

Jeremy Parker

Willow said:
I have got some cycle maps from the council which are fairly good and I think there is a route I could take but it is through 2 national trust properties and down the side of a golf course and I think the gates will be closed. I may actually phone them to find out. The alternative would be a D tour up the downs and back down again which I don't think I'll be up to yet. The main road is up and down all the way I guess I will soon get used to that but want to be away from the traffic.

If anyone has an quiet root from say Effingham Junction Station to Bushy Hill Drive (Merrow, guildford) please tell

Hmm. That looks as if it might be quite a difficult area to find a good route, so you do need to look at maps, and also ask people for advice. The bike maps from Surrey County Council I assume would show you reasonable routes, if they show any routes at all in the direction you want to go. It would be good to look at other maps as well, Ordnance Survey, and very large scale road atlases. The OS maps show bridle paths, which might, or might not, be useful for cycling.

Your direct route would, presumably, be the A426. The most iffy bit of that looks like the stretch between East and West Clandon. The map shows that as dual carriageway, so that might leave the cars reasonable room to pass you by changing lanes. You would just have to go and see. It would be important to ride far enough from the kerb so that the motorists don't think that trying to share a lane is a good idea (unless, of course, there is enough width that you don't care if they share)

Another idea might be to phone the CTC (Cyclist Touring Club) Headquarters for advice. Its a good organization. The HQ is in Guildford now, so somebody there should know the nearby roads. The phone number is 0870-873-0060.

Maybe if you can't go all the way by bike, you could go part way by car, park the car for the day, and just ride part way. That might be good when first exploring. Your car parking place need not be exactly on a direct route from home to work, but perhps offset to the side, to give you a better direction of approach by bike

I hope this helps

Jeremy Parker

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Beautiful countryside in that area though Willow, I doubt the A246 is that bad but if you don't want to cycle it then fair enough. There are a couple of cyclechatters around there I think. I'm sure something will turn up although looking at maps I see your dilemna.

OP
OP
W

Willow

thanks useful advice. I currently drive A246 each day and it isn't that bad but obviously more countrified route holds more appeal. Good idea to phone CTC as they are so local.

OP
OP
W

Willow

went out at 7.30am and did a 10 mile jaunt. Very comfortable so think I will easily manage the 7 miles to work. Took the lanes and bye ways but actually didn't find a route that was very direct or very easy on the mongoose and certainly in winter would be no go in many places. However had a lovely time and will do a bit more exploring yet. Think tomorrow morning I may just give the road route a go to see how long it takes me and perhaps coming home will vere off road a bit.

Got soaked this morning but it was great, no coat just a helmet, covered in stings from nettles and scratches from brambles but enjoyed it.

;)

wlc1

Hi chaps try www.cycle-route.com

May be of help

Ben

shimano

huh! whatever you do don't rely on 'designated cycleway' signs. I followed one out of a neighbouring town the other week along a small A road with a nice wide 'cyclists only' lane on the road. After a few miles the next sign simply said 'End of Cycle Route' in the middle of absolutely nowhere leaving me to jostle for space with the motorised traffic.

OP
OP
W

Willow

Know what you mean I did a bit of that yesterdy and believe me it was no cycle path. As a consequence I did a test run up the A246 this morning. Got to work and back easieer than I thought but the road is horrible with all those cars going up it though I suppose it is greener than many other places so I should be grateful for small mercies. At least I know I can do it though ready for when Sept comes and DS2 can cycle to school

Commuting evolves.....

The routes I use to work vary gratly from when I first started.

It is what summer evenings were invented for!

Try the routes on the way home by deviating a little, or investigating a possible route - you can find some wonderful little roads and paths.

Alternatively take time on a Sunday

OP
OP
W

Willow

I will try some weekends as I won't have time on way home as will need to be back by time boys are back from school

Top Bottom