Cycle shoes, cleats and pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sebson17

I've only just started cycling properly, i got a road bike through the cycle to work scheme, and i have absolutely no idea on what shoes go with what cleats and pedals?

Can i buy a complete set or do i have to buy individually? any help?

Im currently using those strap in pedals and there very annoying.

Willo

The thread in the link below may help as was in response to someone in a similar position.

https://www.cyclechat.net/

Choice will depend on what you use your bike for - commuting, leisure rides at the weekend, racing etc. For what it's worth, I use SPD pedals/shoes for commuting to the station in the morning and the odd weekend spin, as the shoes have a recessed cleat to help walking in the shoes. Even with SPD shoes, for example, there are variants - mine have a stiff sole which is comfortable for spreading the load over longer cycles but not so good for walking any distance (I only walk through the station with a short tube journey at the other end).

I'd add that it may be worth getting used to your new bike before launching into clipless pedals/shoes. I found the transition difficult when I first got my bike. However, after leaving it 3 months or so, the transition was much easier once I had gained confidence on handling my new bike (too much to think about previously when trying to get used to 2 new things).

accountantpete

Brexiteer
In short - decide whether you want road type cleats/pedals(Usually known as spd-sl) or the mtb sort(usually referred to as spd).

New pedals usually come with a pair of cleats.

Shoes can be either spd-sl only, or spd only or may cater for both.

Peter10

I have both SPD-SL (road) and SPD (MTB) pedals and shoes. The SPD-SL I find gives a slightly more comfortable, more powerful ride but the SPD ones are just so much easier for commuting. The pedals are double sided so you can click in quicker. The cleats are smaller and the shoes have grooves so its like a channel to aim the cleat into the pedal. They are far easier to walk in also.

I only use my road pedals/shoes for training rides now where I'm out for longer distances.

Top Bottom