cycle to work scheme

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparty69

Apologies if parts of this subject have already been covered elsewhere. I've been waiting ages for my work to re-introduce the cycle to work scheme. Today they have announced that it will begin on the 18th of this month. I'm wanting a cyclo cross bike for my commute to work and have been looking at the specialized/Fuji/Genesis bikes. So, imagine my disappointment when I see that they have chosen Halfords as the company that we can subscribe to the scheme through. They have a poor reputation, plus they don't deal in any of the aforementioned bikes.

So, I went on their website to see what they do in the way of cyclo cross bikes. They do one called a 'voodoo'!?, never heard of them. Also, they do the Kona Jake and Boardman cyclo cross bikes. My question is, does anyone have any experience of these bikes?, if so, are they any good?.

I wouldn't be taking the bike anywhere near Halfords once I'd done the deal, so that's not an issue, plus I would probably take it straight to my LBS for a once over.

All assistance/advice gratefully received :biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They should be able to get any bike for you. The Boardman bike will be astounding value for money !

OP
OP
S

sparty69

Thanks. I've read some reviews on the Boardman and they all give them a good write up. They're having an open day at work next week with Halfords bringing along a selection of their bikes. so I think I'll pop along and check it out.

sandman77

I just want to make it clear to you that Halfords CAN get you the bike of your choice even if it is a brand they do not stock. I used the C2W scheme last year and was initially disapointed that I was tied to Halfords because I wanted a Specialized. One quick phone call to the Halfords C2W team and it was all sorted. As soon as the vouchers arrived I popped them in the post back to Halfords C2W with a note stating what bike/size/colour I wanted and about 7 days later a brand new 61cm Specialized Allez in red turined up at my house in a big cardboard box. The bike never even entered a Halfords store (in fact specialized insisted that it didnt).

oliglynn

Über Member
My company did H******s scheme last year, but I found I could spend the voucher at Leisure Lakes too.

After a quick look in h******s, and being told by some spotty oik that "I'd get a mountain bike if I were you" after going in asking about road bikes, not being able to test ride a boardman, and suspecting that Boardman bikes didn't do a large enough frame for all 6'4" of me I decided that Leisure Lakes would be the way forward. A bit further to go to get the bike, but after trying it out at a more local shop I ordered it through them. Ended up with a Specialized allez elite.

I believe that some other bike shops around the London area take H******s vouchers.

Yes, Halfords can order other bikes... BUT (and this is a big but) you have to know exactly what you want, and in what size you want it as once ordered they can't send a bought in bike back. Their helpers on the phones don't seem to have a clue about what brands they can and cannot source (uhhhh... i'll just have to ask someone.....) and they don't solicit useful information such as a list of brands available. Once you've overcome all those obstacles, you can start to worry how little the person who builds it actually knows about building bikes.

vickster

Legendary Member
I used my Halfords voucher at Pearsons in Sutton last year. I believe Condor and On your Bike (also in Birmingham) will take them, and possibly others

OP
OP
S

sparty69

Thanks for all the replies guys. I visted my LBS in New Mills today because he stocks RIDLEY bikes and I love the look and spec of the xbow. I'd love to give him my business rather than go through Halfords, unfortunately he doesn't deal with the cycle to work scheme so I couldn't use the voucher there. I find myself in a dilemma, he's offered me a deal on the xbow which'll save me £100, but obviously it'll still cost me more than getting a bike throught he c2w scheme. Decisions, decisions :wacko: .

Paul_L

Über Member
Thanks for all the replies guys. I visted my LBS in New Mills today because he stocks RIDLEY bikes and I love the look and spec of the xbow. I'd love to give him my business rather than go through Halfords, unfortunately he doesn't deal with the cycle to work scheme so I couldn't use the voucher there. I find myself in a dilemma, he's offered me a deal on the xbow which'll save me £100, but obviously it'll still cost me more than getting a bike throught he c2w scheme. Decisions, decisions :wacko: .

If your LBS will do 0% finance it might be worth going for that especially if it's the bike you want.

Top Bottom