Cycle Training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My 14 yearold son has decide that at long last he would like to learn how to ride a bike. I tried teaching him myself a couple of years ago but he wasn't really interested enough to learn. Plus he didn't appreciate my language! Doe's anybody know how I could find an independent instructor who could get him started? I have been on the CTC website but can't find anything for a complete beginner. Any help would be gratefully received.

Rebel Ian

My eldest lad didn't learn until he was almost 11. Both he and his sister (5 at the time) both "got it" on the same evening and managed to ride across the park. The problem with learning as a 14 year old is you don't want to be seen in public places learning. I don't suppose that's "cool".

I found that part of the battle was, as you said, getting them interested to learn. If he's now interested maybe you should try again yourself rather than using an independent person?

OP
OP
cragster

cragster

Regular
Thanks for the reply and it is true that he doesn't want to seem uncool, by being seen learning in front of his buddies. He has said that he would rather be taught by somebody else, other than his 'owd feller' so that is the route I am going down. Kids aren't half awkward :angry:

ttcycle

Cycling Excusiast
You could try ringing CTC head office and speak to a man called Greg who deals with cycling instructors, he may be able to point you in the right direction. There is also the CTUK website that may have info.

Good luck!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Thanks for the reply and it is true that he doesn't want to seem uncool, by being seen learning in front of his buddies. He has said that he would rather be taught by somebody else, other than his 'owd feller' so that is the route I am going down. Kids aren't half awkward :angry:

If it's purely the mechanics of riding, the balance and so on, he can teach himself, once you tell him how, and probably master it in an afternoon. Here's how.

Take the pedals off his bike, and show him how it's done, and how to refit them.

Go somewhere where there is a nice big flat area - empty carpark or similar (or perhaps a local industrial estate at a weekend when it's very quiet). Put the saddle down so that he can straddle the bike with both feet down comfortably. Tell him he should scoot the bike round, walking at first, then building up speed so that he's 'running' it along. With each pace, as his feet are off the ground, he learns to balance, and he'll also be able to practice braking and steering at the same time.

When he can confidently run along, and then lift his feet and freewheel (if you can find an area with a slight slope to coast down, that helps), then you or he put the pedals back on, and scoot off, and pedalling will come naturally. The saddle can be raised as he gains confidence.

I taught a chap in his 40s this way. From not being able to ride, to pedalling a bike round, was less than an hour. It varies of course, he may need a little longer, but if he wants to do it, he'll do it. The advantage of this is that you can leave him to get on with it, which he might appreciate, and if you can find somewhere quiet, there is less embarrassment from onlookers. Plus, the sense of acheivement of doing it himself. You might want to be with him, but sit and read a book or something so that you're not tempted to watch and offer advice.

Once he can actually ride, of course, it's worth looking into local instructors for road training - and remind your son that a good cyclist probably makes a better driver when the time comes...

Good luck to you both!

OP
OP
cragster

cragster

Regular
Thanks for all the advice and I am going to try the suggestion by Arch. Sounds like a good idea and as it seems to be tried and tested thats good enough for me. Even a stroppy teenager like mine can't argue with this method. Well I don't think he can!!

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks for all the advice and I am going to try the suggestion by Arch. Sounds like a good idea and as it seems to be tried and tested thats good enough for me. Even a stroppy teenager like mine can't argue with this method. Well I don't think he can!!

I got roped in to help a friend teaching her 14 year old and a friend and we had them both cycling within 1 and a half hours ... the first one only took about 45 mins ... doing it Arch's way.

Arch

Married to Night Train

Good luck! I hope it works out. I'm no expert on 14 year olds, I just know its the best way for any age to learn - hence the benefit of scooter bikes for toddlers.

I think the main advantage is that it's a natural progression from scooting to pedalling, so there's no sudden 'do or die' moment. Also, he can pick it up at his pace, without Dad having to run alongside.

zacsheahan

Thanks for the reply and it is true that he doesn't require to appear uncool, by being seen learning in front of his buddies. He has said that they would be taught by someone else, other than his 'owd feller' so that is the route I am going down. Children are not half awkward.

Top Bottom