cycle v sports clothing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyclenic

I have been looking alot on the net at specific cycle clothing, for example lycra and jersey's.

But was wondering, is ther any difference (apart from they may be cheeper) to buy general sports clothes, say a pair of nike gym trousers, or a pair of baggy skate/surf/combat type shorts?

i'm thinking of places like tony price or jjb??

any ideas?

Flyingfox

I don't have any cycling specific clothes and mostly wear my gym/running gear, I wear my sailing gloves and even my Hi Viz jacket is one I picked up in the running dept. at Lillywhites. It's lightweight, windproof & breathable and only cost £11! I suppose the only thing that may be of benefit to the social/commuting cyclist is padded shorts.

OP
OP
cyclenic

cyclenic

clothes

I am now the proud owner of an even fatter arse. My shorts arrived yesterday, and they cant be that bad if my fella thinks my arse still looks good. anyway i digress :angry:

I have a running jacket, rebock one, which does they job, but have been wearing cheepy primark shorts and gym trousers. only a few days ago they rubbed. i'm hoping this wont be a problem with my shorts underneth, but what do you think?

bonj2

cycle specific clothing is generally closer-fitting and therefore more aerodynamic, in addition cycling tights/shorts have a pad which is comfortable on the saddle. It's also quite wicking as in sweat can pass through it easily and evaporate away.
It's quite surprising how much of a difference it makes not having clothes that are flapping about.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Things like a waterproof jacket or tops are slightly longer at the back too. That said I think most of the female tops are really ugly. Running ones are still technical and a slightly nicer shape.

Tynan

Veteran
might be okish for flat bars but roadie means a more bent over position so the longer tail is important as well as the positions of pockets and zips as well as reflectives

and you're liable to want to deal with 20mph cold winds on a bike more than in running I reckons

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
bonj said:
cycle specific clothing is generally closer-fitting and therefore more aerodynamic, in addition cycling tights/shorts have a pad which is comfortable on the saddle. It's also quite wicking as in sweat can pass through it easily and evaporate away.
It's quite surprising how much of a difference it makes not having clothes that are flapping about.

Agreed
Other sports clothing is better than nothing, but cycle specific gear is designed to make a cyclists life more pleasant. This is especially true as mentioned by Tynan when you're in a sportier riding position.

I find base layers as long as wicking can be for most sports.
Cycle tops are designed to fit a cyclist who sis bent over the bars, longer at the back, rear pockets, longer front zips etc. Also cut close in the arms to prevent flapping around at speed. Thicker material in the front in winter kit than the rear as the front takes the cold.
Cycle specific shorts OR padded cycle underwear is fine.
Cycle longs again will be closer fitting to stop flapping about and cut to aid a cyclist movement rather than say a runners, higher cut up the back to prevent lower back chills.

Ladies gear take a look at Wiggle, they have a selection of good kit.
OR an oft suggested fave...
http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/

gratts

Another advantage with cycle clothing is that you don't have to wade your way through crowds of scum in JJB et al ;)

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
If you are looking to cycle any distance then purpose made cycle clothing is going to be more comfortable. If you are just doing short trips then ordinary clothing will do.

Top Bottom