Cycling camera

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HB2210

Looking to price a decentish cycling camera. I got one for Christmas but it's so heavy it makes my helmet tip to the side :ohmy: It's a dv 720 hd action camera ... Too big me thinks. Anyone any advice on something better at a reasonable price? Male van driver almost knocked me off my bike tonight :sad: Would've been handy if something bad had happened as he just drove off

Last edited:

MattyKo

White Van Man Strikes Again - He sure does get around. Sorry to hear that his gentlemen (white van man) upset you and your cycle ride. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any advice concerning which helmet camera to purchase All the best and stay safe.

OP
OP
HB2210

HB2210

White Van Man Strikes Again - He sure does get around. Sorry to hear that his gentlemen (white van man) upset you and your cycle ride. Unfortunately, I cannot provide any advice concerning which helmet camera to purchase All the best and stay safe.

Was a silver van for a wee change, but if I hadn't taken evasive action I would've been sitting in the passenger seat with him. Couple of guys in a BMW stopped to see if I was ok as he took off. Nice people still about so focusing on the positives :rolleyes: Thanks tho, appreciate it :smile:

MikeW-71

Veteran
GoPro is the usual recommendation. The new models are lighter and smaller than before. Great image quality and long battery life (up to 3hrs).

GoPro is recommended by most, I'd like to try a Contour Roam+, but means a purchase from ebay to try unless I find someone local who'd trust me enough to borrow for a week.

I personally have a DogCam BulletHD, records in 720p, has two caps, one for dry (with mic) and the other for wet.
Accepts MicroSD cards upto (if I remember correctly) 32Gb.

Cost me £90 after a white van man got out of his cab to hit me physically - for overtaking earlier.

BSRU

A Human Being
I use the Sony, mainly because it's not a box shape and has by far the best low light capabilities(not that's important this time of year).
The new one has just been released and does not require the waterproof housing for normal use, which is a big benefit over the old ones.

crazyjoe101

In lieu of your obtaining a new camera, is it possible to mount your camera atop the helmet, rather than at the side?

I have the mount for my Contour ROAM 2 gaffa taped to the near centre of my helmet, and I no longer notice any sideways pulling.

BSRU

A Human Being
In lieu of your obtaining a new camera, is it possible to mount your camera atop the helmet, rather than at the side?

I have the mount for my Contour ROAM 2 gaffa taped to the near centre of my helmet, and I no longer notice any sideways pulling.
The Contour has a specific mount for mounting on top of the helmet so it is on it's side.

crazyjoe101

The Contour has a specific mount for mounting on top of the helmet so it is on it's side.

If I mount the camera to the side using that mount so that the centre of mass of the camera is over the centre of mass of the helmet then it is pointing too far downwards, I have to mount it on a part further back which is in the middle of the helmet.

buggi

Bird Saviour
i found the little Muvi camera quite good and i didn't have the HD version. Its got various mounts which are camera angle adjustable so even when on top of my helmet i could get the angle ok (took a bit of working out but i found i personally liked to put the mount on the inside of the helmet and have the camera sticking up thro the vents... Very discreet position). You could wear it on the side of the helmet with no weight issues. I've also used it on the handlebars facing forward, in the curve of the drops facing backward, and on the seat stay facing backwards, as in this clip below. I've had it a while and the battery seems to be failing now so I'm going to upgrade to a HD one bcoz i don't like the size of the GoPro. Another tip, cameras are often supplied with Velcro straps but i found hair bands around the mount, or even electrical tape, are much better at keep the camera still when attached to the frame or handlebars.

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1T8xFJ1lxlU

Top Bottom