Cycling Computer / Lights Problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StevieD

I've got a Topeak V12 Panoram wireless computer on my commuting bike and it works fine until I turn on my Smart Polaris 3 LED front light. With the Smart light in ethier constant or flashing mode, the computer stops sensing the magnetic pulse from the wheel and speed goes to zero. Computer works fine with my other lights (Fenix LD20s in all modes).

Anyone else got the same light / computer combo? Any problems?

I contacted the distributors for both Smart and Topeak but neither were interested in the problem - both blamed each other's item:wacko:

First off, Welcome.

Can't help you with your problem though as I don't run a computer on my commuter and the one of the tourer is wired to the sensors.

I used to have a wireless one of the commuter, but I was getting too many wierd readings due to induction loops in the road to bother keeping it.

zacklaws

Guru
Its quite interesting that your light is interfering with your computer, which simply means that your LED light is emmiting radio waves.

Last winter whilst riding home in the dark, I noticed a phenomenon
with my Catseye led front light which I have never noticed before and it was caused by it having a strobe effect, I suddenly became aware that at certain speeds, my front wheel would either appear to be rotating backwards, or it would appear stopped, or rotating forward.

When it appeared to be stopped, my speed was always a multiple of 7, being 7mph,14mph, 21mph, and the two other effects would fit in between those speeds.

If all led lights have this strobe effect due to its circuitry, then some may be able to effect wireless computers. Perhaps trying to screen the light may be a temporary solution.

8kphil

my cateye strada cordless computer doesnt work when ive got my light and motion vega 200 light on,not too bothered really,its usually too dark to see the screen anyway!

Top Bottom