Cycling in Beijing (article)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
A

another_dave_b

Nice little snapshot in the Telegraph:
Beijing (unlike Delhi) is a great city for biking and has generous cycle lanes down most major roads, although admittedly these must be shared with pedestrians, other bicyclists going in the wrong direct, bus stops and taxis pulling in to drop off and pick up passengers.

You find a democratic mix in the cycle lane: the old guy puffing on his fag, barely turning the cranks; the expat-woman in a linen suit gliding serenely into Guo Mao (World Trade Centre), the tricycle affair loaded with tat for sale; the hung-over student with a mate on the back taking on the red lights…I could go on.

My only complaint is that Beijingers bicycle incredibly slowly, creaking along on their three-speed boneshakers, often line abreast which makes it difficult to get moving if you’ve got somewhere to get to, or have a lightweight, aluminium-frame 18-speed superbike like the one I spent far too much money on last weekend.

darkstar

i was in Beijing 2 months ago and despite what some people say the locals still use bikes, thousands of bicycles are around, most of them tuk tuks trying their best to persuade you to take a lift. I reckon the citie is too hot and polluted to really go for it though, so a nice slow pace is the best choice imo!

Top Bottom